Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop says the cats are shot and the muffler is full of debris.....I want to call BS but how can I be sure?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have a dead coil assy on one of the cylinders. Replaced it this evening and the car runs better, but the muffler does sound weird.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Codes where for two packs (E and F)...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
with the engine off and cold. tap on the muffler with a rubber mallet and listen for a rattle. kinda sounds like change shaking in ur pocket. if you hear it then its possible that its full of crap. then let the car run for 15 to 20 mins. turn it off and look at the cat. if the cat is red then yeah its bad. if you had a bad coil then the gas wasnt getting burned off and got dumped into the cat. it will clog the cat depending on how long it was bad. the smell of gas should come out the tail pipe till the cat gets hot enough. after that the smell should be almost gone. if the smell is still strong after 20 to 30 mins of running then the cat is clogged up.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you have been running around with a misfire or failing coil, it will melt the cats. You will need to do the checks, but I think your shop was right on the money.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
^^^^ +1

Bad missfire for too long a time = melted cats = big $$. NEVER ignore a missfire code.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts