Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
GEN III isn't so easy, I popped the cupholder section off, but the front section does not come out because the lighter box is attached to something under the console and to the black piece that goes around the shifter, it will move but won't come out far enough to get the shifter piece out :<

·
Registered
73 Posts
JR,

Thanks for the help on the bulbs I went to Autozone and got some without any issues i'll have some picutres soon of that and my bull.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sweet im going to experiment in the next few days ill post pics if i do so

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
just to make this easier, is there an easy way to remove my gen 4 shift knob? i tried twisting to the max that i felt it would take without breaking it but it didnt want to turn.....i dont want to bust anything.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well whats easier than NOT removing the shift knob? thats just some extra junk ya gotta put back. i guess you could take off the hood to check the oil, but its not necessary. y'know? the shift knob doesnt just twist off either. you have to push down the sleeve on the shaft and remove the two screws under there. after that, you are on your own. i tried it in a junker sable at a junkyard just to see. when i pulled the knob up, springs and all types of stuff went flying. because of that, i say why bother when you can do this job easily without removing the shift knob? just my opinion. then end result will be the same either way. new lights.

JR-sent you another pm (incase you didnt go there yet) thanks again.
i found my leds in the ricer section at pepboys. got screwed though. they are $6.99 for a pair of single leds. i just wanted to get em to see how it looked before i put a lot of time and effort into it. ill be hitting superbrightleds in a few days.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 19 2006, 05:20 AM
I have mine in...its better at diffusing the light. Yours is ridiculously bright s2k, and has very bad hotspots. It should "glow" rather than "shine".

JR
you think thats bright...

BRIGHTNESS!

this pic is without the plastic cover over the bulbs and these are wide angle 194 leds. btw this pic is take at about 3:00PM without a hint of darkness, so when i ggets dark ill take another pic, it will probably be blinding as hell so right now im getting the green off the plastic cover so i can put it on.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Originally posted by slushi@Jul 19 2006, 12:49 PM
GEN III isn't so easy, I popped the cupholder section off, but the front section does not come out because the lighter box is attached to something under the console and to the black piece that goes around the shifter, it will move but won't come out far enough to get the shifter piece out :<
Gen III SHO is super easy. Once you remove the cup holder, fold the ashtray down. Lift up on the two "arms" that are coming out of the forward trim piece (where the cupholder clipped into). It pops out easily enough. The top you have to work a little, but ti comes out easily enough. Just make sure to have the car in like first with the ebarke on so you have room.

I have my Sirius Sattelitle radio receiver mount wehre my ashtray was. Folds up into the dash just as the ashtray did to :banana:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for putting this up...I recently had my shifter lights burn up and replaced with oem bulbs. Seeing this diy thread allowed me to do this bulb replacement in just a few minutes (while my kids age 3 and 4 months) waited patiently before Daddy was on the road again :)

Blessings,

Carey Howard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting this with pictures!

Although my '99s center console it slightly different than the one in the pictures, I was able replace my two burnt out bulbs in about 15 minutes last night.

So nice to be able to see what gear I'm putting it into at night, and a little ambient light is nice as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not realizing this, and because of my fat fingers and limited space around the bulb, I ended up removing the white plastic piece so I could access the bulb holders from underneath. The white plastic piece is secured by 4 plastic clips that can be removed with a needle nose pliers, then the whole piece can be lifted enough to access the lamp holders. Assembly is simply the reverse operation.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts