Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how to change the shifter lights to LEDs, or just to replace them if one burns out. I did this WITHOUT removing the shift knob. Here goes.... **excuse the scum under the shifter.

First, grab the cover right here and lift up. It will come, but it may take a little pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next, there are four small clips that hold on the PRNDL cover. you have to kind of pull them out a little to get the cover off. (they are black and are a part of the cover. the white part is what they attach too.) Please be careful though, because they are quite fragile. I only have two left, so watch out and dont pull too hard. Just pull enough to get them to move.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now swing the cover around out of the way. (The yellow arrows point to the fragile clips I mentioned earlier). OK, now the blue arrow points to the cover that is actually over the light bulbs. Yours will probably appear black or green, but mine doesnt because I already got that stuff off. The red arrows show where that small cover snaps on. I removed mine and sanded the tint off with a Scotch Brite pad. Then, to make it translucent instead of clear, I used a piece of Scotch brand magic tape. (Not the transparent kind, but the opaque white one.) Again, I did that just so you couldnt see the bulbs under the letters. It just spreads out the light a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the shifter with the bulb cover out of the way. As you can see, there are just two small bulbs in there. (194). The ones in the photo are blue LEDs. All you have to do is pull out the old bulbs and put in the LEDs. They are direct fit replacements. Polarity is important so if the bulb doesn't work, take it out and turn the leads 180 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just go in reverse to put it all back together. Here it is in the finished state. The lights appear uneven in the daylight, but at night they even out. They are very bright, so dimming a little helps with the brightness as well as evening out the light. This is an easy little project if ya have a little time on a Saturday or something. If I left anything important out, let me know or post your additions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Good write-up.

You might want to drop a small bit of hot glue on the top of those LEDs. The look awesome, but the hot spots over the bulbs make it look a little uneven. Some hot glue should do the trick to disperse the light.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
excellent write up!

my question is, is it bettter to keep the green bulb shield on? i just took it off and put amber leds in. so should i take the green off and put it back on?

heres mine:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is a question of preference. i just didnt want the bulbs shinig directly through. plus, i didnt wanna just not put that part back in.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
wiki it please!

and hmm any one know the difference for gen3s? im not sure how to remove the center console

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Gen III is the same principle. You open the center console, then use a small flathead to pry up the rear black plastic piece. Pop that off, pop off the front piece, then pop off the clear shifter bezel. The rest is the same.

JR

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dumb question, but how do ya go about adding to the wiki? i looked around at it a bit and it seems that theres a chance i could mess up the whole thing....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok well i'm trying to do this as I type and i'm having a hard time getting the bulbs out i'm afraid i'm going to squish the bulbs which is one of the final steps other then going out and getting the replacement bulbs. I can barely get my fingers to turn the bulb or do they snap out or am I just being dumb :x: ? After I get the bulbs out do I go to an auto store and as for this size bulb but only different color or where can I go to get blue leds that are the same size as I have?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure whos looking at this thread right now but I got the bulbs out they just are hard to get out because you need to pull but where can I go to to the the same size bulbs but just blue LED?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts