Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 taurus with a new sound system, removed air silencer, new wheels. I am looking for improvement suggestions on its performance. everything i have on the car is stock, no addons except the system. I am thinking of getting a y pipe exhaust but i really dont know what to do to make it a lil more beeffier! I am looking for ne thing i can add on to give it more HP and or a better sound. I am not Mr. Mechainic by ne means. but i do know some people in car garages. I do not want to spend over $700 but i would rather have quality than something that will break in 2 weeks. My goal is to transfer my Tauri into a lil street racer if possible
I am open to ne and all suggestions that you might have
thanks guys!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
build a cool air intake, put a good conical air filter (I like K&N) in the fender wall where your silencer used to be. put an aftermarket exhaust on it, take out your resonator, put on some flowmasters or something, a Y-pipe with dual exhaust would be nice, ask our current COTM winner how his exhaust came together. then think about something like a chip, Apten makes a good one (but honestly, I have had alot of trouble with mine) you can go with a bigger MAF for a bit more power, you will need custom programming, so doing this along with the chip at the same time would work well. or if you just want ET's go on the bottle...there are plenty of places you can start. except for the nitrous, you should be able to do all of that for under 700$. see if there is a VAK available for your engine as well, they are supposed to produce noticable gains. I want one! someday...good luck, be sure to let us know when you get stuff done!

·
Registered
142 Posts
see if there is a VAK available for your engine[/b]
I hate to sound ignorant, but what is a "VAK?"

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Vacuum Accessory Killer. Nods go to our Mr. Paul Nimz (SHOZ123) as the creator. Basically turns the accessories off at wide-open throttle. You'd have to ask him on specifics, I don't wanna butcher his toy

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 15 2004, 11:12 PM
guess u should get the SFC & STB's first to make the bull stronger...
and then go for the mods...
I can vouch for those - mad props to Bob (Bob Gervais, our president and Anonda Motorsports owner) for those.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now what exactly does SFC & STB's stand for? sorry fellas i wish i was more car illerate but yet again i am only 18 and i swear i hear my brama bull wispering to me every day begging to be let lose. Keep on rolling witht he sughestions, also where can i get all of these and can they easy to do and install? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
SFC = Sub Frame Connectors. These tie the front sub frame into the rear of the car, stiffening the chassy and eliminating some of the body twisting and flexing.

STB = Strut Tower Brace. Really on anything 1996 and up you're talking an FSTB or Front Strut Tower Brace. Your Strut towers being the large mounting area on the rear corners of the engine bay. These are the points that take the stress from the front struts. Normally these are completely seperate from one another, but as you take harder turns, the mounts and body of the car bends and you loose some handling when it does. The FSTb puts an aluminum rod between these two points preventing flexing in ether direction. I have one of these on my 2000 and it really made a difference in the way the car corners.

Also, the Cool Air Intake, or at least remove the intake silencer and install a high flow filter such as a K&N would be a good first step. Also, a performance chip with good programming on it is a great way to pick up some power, or more specifically some efficiency. I have my EEC tuned through American Motorsport. Check the EEC tuning form for information on the group by if you are interested in this. Improves shifting and throttle response and can be optimized for premium fuel (spark advance and such)

All of this should be easily under your $700 budget. Next say about 5 - 10K for custom supercharger or turbocharger project

*edit*

Oh, and if you want to do some real unique work, look up the threads for converting rear drum to disc. I don't believe anyone has done this on a Gen 4 yet.

-Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts