Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
well,
A long long time ago (e.g. this summer) I had to replace both the rear brake lines running from the front of the car to, well, the back of the car; and I had to replace the high pressure power steering line. Since I could only get a fixed size length (though be it quite long) of brake line (and I didn't feel like bending it) and the part of the high pressure PS line going into the firewall was jammed, I cut them using a rotary pipe cutter (the little tool where you tighten,spin it around, tighten, etc) and installed compression fittings to connect the pieces of the lines together. In total, there are 5 compression fittings on my car: one for the PS line, and 4 on the brake lines.

So, how safe are compression fittings? I haven't had any problems since they have been on.. and I'm not going to change it no matter what anyone says (poor college student), but just curious..

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Well if you notice the brake pedal getting mushier everytime you drive it, I would say you're loosing fluid/pressure via those compression fittings. If that is the case, its either be a poor college student without a car, or a seriously injured one

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by KnightM@Dec 17 2003, 01:36 PM
Ok,
well,
A long long time ago (e.g. this summer) I had to replace both the rear brake lines running from the front of the car to, well, the back of the car; and I had to replace the high pressure power steering line. Since I could only get a fixed size length (though be it quite long) of brake line (and I didn't feel like bending it) and the part of the high pressure PS line going into the firewall was jammed, I cut them using a rotary pipe cutter (the little tool where you tighten,spin it around, tighten, etc) and installed compression fittings to connect the pieces of the lines together. In total, there are 5 compression fittings on my car: one for the PS line, and 4 on the brake lines.

So, how safe are compression fittings? I haven't had any problems since they have been on.. and I'm not going to change it no matter what anyone says (poor college student), but just curious..
Are they compression fittings or flare fitting like stock? Flare fittings are all good and legal as long as you do a double flare.

I used plumbing compression fittings on a Tempo powersteering line and it is still together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they compression fittings or flare fitting like stock? Flare fittings are all good and legal as long as you do a double flare.[/b]
Not sure on this one... I think that they are plumbing compression fittings or some sort.. I got them from the guys at AutoZone. At the time they said, "You know, your not really supposed to use compression fittings on brake lines, but your not the first and certainly not the last."

I haven't seen any leaks of any kind or any loss of fluid in either the PS or brakes. So, so far so good..
Stopping is actually a lot better than before, escpecially the time when the lines rusted through and I lost brakes, was 35 minutes from home.. (and drove the car back home.. -- that was an adventure.. btw-back roads rule)

f that is the case, its either be a poor college student without a car, or a seriously injured one[/b]
I'll take the seriously injured over not having a car..

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Dec 17 2003, 02:36 PM
Well if you notice the brake pedal getting mushier everytime you drive it, I would say you're loosing fluid/pressure via those compression fittings. If that is the case, its either be a poor college student without a car, or a seriously injured one
or if he ends up killing/maming/injuring someone else because his brakes failed. That sure would fall heavy on my concience... not to mention getting charged with neglegence and possibly manslaughter.

You might want to try an research *why* you aren't supposed to use compression fittings on brake lines. If it's a serious problem, better make that a priority to fix.

-Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or if he ends up killing/maming/injuring someone else because his brakes failed. That sure would fall heavy on my concience... not to mention getting charged with neglegence and possibly manslaughter.[/b]
I've got a way to avoid this: just drive my normal 100mph.. that way, if they do fail, I won't be charged with anything..

But seriously, from what I have heard from other people, they are safe, I was just mainly wondering if anyone on this board has had any experience with them..

and Dant, if it makes you feel any better: the person who helped me out with all of this "repair" work is a technician..

Oh, btw - I asked about him about the flare - and yes, they are double flared.. so, I guess that is some good news..

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Well that's good. Just don't want to see anyone hurt. You can live with a fussy motor or a broken window, but brakes are something you don't want to go without.

-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts