Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a pan drop and fill on my wife's 2000 Taurus 3.0 VUlcan and have a few questions.

1) How much fluid should I buy?

2) Whats the best way to add it? (I know through dipstick, but do I need to crank it? This is my first auto, not really familiar).

3) How much is the filter? Should I get a Ford one or other like WIX?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Somewhere there is an article on this but I can't remember exactly where. There are a few ways to do this.

1-You can drop the pan, change the filter, put the pan back on, and top off the fluid(the old fluid in the torque converter stays in). Don't forget to wipe the pan and the magnet.

2-You can disconect one of the hoses, turn the car on and let the car pump the fluid out until it is completely empty, and then add the entire amount of fluid.

3-You can do both. First you undo a hose, pump all the fluid out. Then you drop the pan, change the filter, wipe the pan and magnet. Put the pan back on. Fill with entire amount of Fluid.

If you really care about the car and have the time, do #3. Very few garages do both. They usualy charge $80-120 for #1 or #2. If you want both done at a garage you pay double. Thats why you do it yourself and it only takes 30 minutes at most. I don't think there is much difference in filters, but I could be wrong. They are only like $20 or so for the filter. Read the owners manual for the full capacity of the system. And do NOT over tighten the bolts on the pan or it will leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts