Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very small rust bubble show up above my RH rear finder on my 04 Duratec. My car is pristine and I could only see it if the light was right. Wanting to keep the car nice, I stopped by a little local body shop to see if they could help me. Oh sure $150 bucks. No problem.

Well I went back to get the car a few days later and the old guy totally
F uped the whole RH side of the car. He said something went wrong and the clear coat lifted. He worked on the car for three more weeks painting and blending the whole side of the car 3 times! Finally he discovered he was using the wrong type of hardner in the paint. He did it one more time but the paint is subpar for sure. Over spray the works.:angry:

How much do you guys think I should expect to pay to have the whole car repainted? I mean a really good paint job. I know the car car isn't worth it, but I really love this old Taurus. I would like to drive it for many years to come. Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
You shouldn't have to pay a dime. Get that retard to pay for the damage he caused.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a very small rust bubble show up above my RH rear finder on my 04 Duratec. My car is pristine and I could only see it if the light was right. Wanting to keep the car nice, I stopped by a little local body shop to see if they could help me. Oh sure $150 bucks. No problem.

Well I went back to get the car a few days later and the old guy totally
F uped the whole RH side of the car. He said something went wrong and the clear coat lifted. He worked on the car for three more weeks painting and blending the whole side of the car 3 times! Finally he discovered he was using the wrong type of hardner in the paint. He did it one more time but the paint is subpar for sure. Over spray the works.:angry:

How much do you guys think I should expect to pay to have the whole car repainted? I mean a really good paint job. I know the car car isn't worth it, but I really love this old Taurus. I would like to drive it for many years to come. Your thoughts are appreciated.
file a law suit and have bubble head pay for it.........

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I'd try and get the shop to pay something on it, however to directly answer the question based on my experience you'd be looking close to $2100. That's what I paid just for paint on my '97. After adding pearl and having to patch the floor and replace both rocket panels I was actually $3500. I should mention when I painted my car I painted the widow pillars, vent shades and tail light bar, also I'm talking in canadian funds.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ouch. I was quoted around $1200[US] on my '00. IMO it IS worth it, if they do a good job. I love my car and when I get the cash I am looking to repaint it.

But if someone messed up, threaten to sue. I wouldn't stand for that...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just actually had my 03 estimated out for a full body repaint..changing the color of course and it was $5,000[US] done right. Car completely stripped down piece by piece and gutted to a shell. No interior or anything. Man explained he didn't want his name on something not done right and that he removes orange peel if any until you'd be left with a high gloss shine that would last many years. Seen his work and it's good. Obviously I didn't have 5Gs to drop on my car right now so I have to wait.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Painting a car evolves a lot of complex chemicals. And depending what type of paint you spray a quart of paint can go for $50 bucks to $112 bucks. And same goes for clear coat. Depends how much you want to spend.

For a reasonable paint job (low end paint) $2K to $3K. Premium paint and you could hit $5K easily.

With your initial post at $150 that would have been a red flag for me. It would have cost $150 just in chemicals alone.

Monsoon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.