Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, my Sable has a lot of black electrical tape under the hood. Maybe I've overlooked every picture of an engine I've ever seen, but is it normal to have tape under the hood (and if so, how much)? And why would so much tape be there? (I'm going to Carfax it next week to see if it's possible been wrecked before I bought it, but idk of any other reason it would be there.)

I wanted to detail my engine this spring, and tbh I'm not sure if it would be safe for me (or my Sable for that matter) to try and do that with the mass amounts of tape on almost everything under the hood. I put in some (rather crappy) pictures so you can see just how much tape I'm talking about....

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
That's ALL factory tape there. It's there to keep moisture out and the big bundles from looking like spaghetti. So detail away, it won't hurt anything.

You'd be amazed at how much MORE there is throughout the rest of the car. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my sable has tape in all of those places. to help hold everything together i guess

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Wow, your car is held togeather with tape :blink:

J/k. It's factory, there's nothing to worry about when detailing. Just keeps everything togeather to keep the engine bay looking neat and keep wire bundles from chafing.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
It is common mod to switch it to gray duct tape. This is because the gray/silver duct tape will reflect the heat instead of absorbing it lessening the chances of the components becoming too hot and melting. The cooler component free up about 10 HP :p

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
That stuff's stock. Ford doesn't do "pretty" in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That stuff's stock. Ford doesn't do "pretty" in the engine bay.
[/b]
Give it another 5 years and it'll look like my engine bay...tape will start to fall apart if you touch it. I've removed, cleaned and re-wraped some of the things under the hood of my car. At least on my 2000 Duratec , the engine bay gets quite warm, so its no surprise that the tape deteriorates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's good to know, and I'm no longer thinking my car had possibly been wrecked before I bought it (even though I am going to run a Carfax on it anyway, because I never did before I bought it). I'd just never seen any engine bay with that much tape....or I'd really never noticed, in which case I should pay attention to detail more often :)

Now if the weather could just warm up a little...

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's not the electrical tape I'd be worrying about, everything looks perfectly normal. Just be cautious to duct tape and chewing gum. Then you know somethings wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts