Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Sable 3.0, I am changing oil, how many quarts do I need? I am using a Fram 3600 filter and Castrol 5w20 oil. thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would not use such a thin oil in that old engine. I would use a high mileage 10w-30. Unfortunately I don't know the capacity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not use such a thin oil in that old engine. I would use a high mileage 10w-30. Unfortunately I don't know the capacity.
I was just going by the updated manual that recommended 5w20, I am using high mileage oil though. I may try thicker oil next time, I tried 4.5 and it was a pint low or close to it, so I added another pint and now it's slightly over. Five quarts seems kinda a lot for a small 3.0 but after 4.5 and running the engine 15 minutes it was a pint low or somewhere close to it. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Get rid of the POS Fram filter. Use the correct Motorcraft filter (FL400S), WIX, AC Delco / Purolator, etc.... Anything but FRAM!!

Google Fram filters and have a look at how poorly they are made.

My 95 Vulcan takes about 4.6 quarts to fill it to the FULL line. I use Mobil 1 5W30.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gonna jump on the bandwagon...

All 3 of my OBS F150's get a Motorcraft filter, FL-1A, along with the wife's '05 Taurus SE, and when I owned my '04 Dodge Hemi, it got a Motorcraft FL-1A filter.

I had a '02 Dodge 5.9 that I once used a Fram Filter on and it split at the seam spewing oil. Luckily, the truck was under warranty and no damage was done. They verified oil psi and it was correct so it had nothing to do with an engine failure, just a terrible filter.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
^+1. Fram, the orange can of doom, lol!!!
Why would anyone want to buy the orange can when you can get MC (oe) filter at Walmart for less than $4.
Big change if my history (old) the xxx-S = silicone check valve is the best thing going. Before that when the filter was couple thou miles would let the oil drain back leaving the system empty. Slow to bring up pressure.
-chart-

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I have never switched to anything heavier that 5w20 in my 2000's but I seem to remember using 5w30 in my 1991 and 1993. Maybe 1994 switched to 5w20. I used Fram exclusively for at least 20 years period and never had an issue but switched to Motorcraft filters. They only complaint I have using MC filters is that the gasket either compresses or the filter loosens because they leak and need to be retightened. Never had that happen with any other brand in the 46 years I have been changing my oil.

I add approx. 4.5 quarts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would anyone want to buy the orange can when you can get MC (oe) filter at Walmart for less than $4.
Big change if my history (old) the xxx-S = silicone check valve is the best thing going. Before that when the filter was couple thou miles would let the oil drain back leaving the system empty. Slow to bring up pressure.
-chart-
The wal mart here stopped selling oil filters, they have motor oil and air filters but I was told they have stopped getting oil filters in. I will buy Motorcraft from now on but will have to order online. No shops carry them here, they carry their brand and Mobile 1, wix and k n. I will keep an eye on the fram, been using them for 20 years or more never had trouble but will stop. thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
WIX filters are very high quality filters, and are reasonably priced. Been using them on my heavily modded 88 Turbo Coupe for years as they are a hair shorter than the equivalent Motorcraft filter which makes removal and install easier due to interference with the steering shaft.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
The wal mart here stopped selling oil filters, they have motor oil and air filters but I was told they have stopped getting oil filters in. I will buy Motorcraft from now on but will have to order online. No shops carry them here, they carry their brand and Mobile 1, wix and k n. I will keep an eye on the fram, been using them for 20 years or more never had trouble but will stop. thanks for the help.
I checked today while at WM. $3.97 for FL-820-S. And PF-61 for my Buick, AC brand. I will stock up next time out there. I have 3 Bulls with the DOHC engine in my herd. Fall maint not far away. Only one GM car.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
WIX filters are very high quality filters, and are reasonably priced. Been using them on my heavily modded 88 Turbo Coupe for years as they are a hair shorter than the equivalent Motorcraft filter which makes removal and install easier due to interference with the steering shaft.
My old Dodge Dart 318, 1972 had a special filter. Same as the normal for the engine but shorter so it could miss the steering shaft. One bank had the exhaust turned down so plugs were on top, other turned up with the plugs under. Made room for the steering shaft. At least you could change plugs. Unlike some others. Crappy engine. Plastic timing gear. and it had 2 left handed rockers on one shaft. Other side had the spacers in the wrong order. Dodge dealer told me they got a 440 in new car, bored .060 over with standard pistons. Did not run well. Car makers were noted for boring one cylinder over or under size one crank bearing. My '64 Fairlane 500 260 had -.002 rod bearings with no ID on the inserts.
Maybe they do better now. Maybe!
-chart-

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the 20k K&N filter with motorcraft 5-20 mercon v 4qts and a qt of lucas heavy oil treatment changing at every 5k
and my motors running beautifully

·
Registered
3 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford...ft+5w20+synthetic+blend&qid=1631152918&sr=8-2 my mistake, this is what i use(i just recently topped off my trans fluid, sorry for the confusion). check in your manual for your cars specific requirements or google it but most call for 5 quarts. i use thishttps://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10118-Mileage-Stabilizer/dp/B075P8VVTJ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lucas+high+mileage+synthetic+oil+stabilizer&qid=1631153039&sr=8-2 and put 4 quarts in and one quart of Lucas, after the 4 quarts of oil just pour the whole bottle in and then you can put your spare oil in the lucas container and drain your old oil into the red container for easier disposal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just going by the updated manual that recommended 5w20, I am using high mileage oil though. I may try thicker oil next time, I tried 4.5 and it was a pint low or close to it, so I added another pint and now it's slightly over. Five quarts seems kinda a lot for a small 3.0 but after 4.5 and running the engine 15 minutes it was a pint low or somewhere close to it. thanks.
Own two 3.0 vulcans ...2002 and 2005....the owners manual says 4.5...with filter and you are correct...the oil still is mid way the hash marks....but i dont add anymore....wonder sometime when people at 5.quarts could aid with them leaking oil....wish Ford had recab the oil stick....

·
Registered
23,545 Posts
I've always refilled a Vulcan with 5qts., a Duratec with 6qts. Top of the dipstick safe crosshatch area for both engines following an oil/filter change.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I've always refilled a Vulcan with 5qts., a Duratec with 6qts. Top of the dipstick safe crosshatch area for both engines following an oil/filter change.
Old school engines, did not matter. Front wheel drive limits the depth of the pan, and risk of oil splash making heat and reducing power. At least since the early 80's they used "splash shields" under the crank to catch the slinging oil and route it down to the oil pool. Big deal in racing, but on road cars still an issue with accel. decell. and curves. Overfill risky in the engine as well as the tran.
I use 5 in my DOHC's and add as needed. When I drain with it barely on the end of the stick, I still get 4Q out. Plenty for safe driving.
Just my plan.
Then my Buick 3.9 uses 4Q. I do as the owner's guide says. Of course it uses a coolant heat exchanger with the engine oil.
-chart-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts