Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still new here.... But I can tell that I should get a trans cooler put on my '00 Duratec if I want to keep the tranny for the long haul.

How much do you think is reasonable? I got one estimate of $229 installed plus tax.

Thanks in advance...

G

·
That's way too much. You can buy one from a lot of places, Summit Racing, JC Whitney, or even Fleabay for around $50 or less. Installation is about an hour, so it depends on the shop rate. I usually charge around $50 depending on the year of the car.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
i was wondering the same thing. I went to a radiator shop and they quoted me 180 with 3 hours of labor <_< . yea whatever. and the guy says they need to make a fitting for the hose since the stock connections are metal. hey moron, they make a fitting....

if you dont have one already, i got mine on ebay for 40 bucks including shipping. Hayden 1405.

G

·
Actually, the Gen 2 uses a special fitting. The Gen 3 and 4 are simply 3/8" lines going into the stock trans cooler. So now they're even more moronic than they were previously. :)

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Really? hm.. The paper said like 96-whatever needed a "duckbill" fitting or something along those lines. look at it, it looked like it would thread on the stock metal lines (atleast there metal on mine) but maybe the hose would just squeeze on. But in the manual it or on the hose, cant remember witch, it says DO NOT cut the hose that the cooler came with. why not? i havnt felt like doing it all myself cuz thats a definiant dedicated few hours, and you cant use the car till its done. Everything ive done till now was always first get it in and going, then clean it up a little, find some trouble spots and fix them, then finally clean all the wires and lines and make the connections better than the wires wrapped around eachother.

G

·
The Gen 3 uses a separate auxillary cooler, which is shaky at best. That cooler has 3/8 rubber hose on it. What I usually do is take the hoses off the driver's side end, hook in the aftermarket cooler inline, zip tie it out of the way, and re install the lower splash shield. Works like a charm, and should take no longer than an hour. The only tools required are a 1/4 drive socket set, and a screwdriver. The aftermarket coolers even come with rubber hose, making the job easier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speaking of tranny coolers, how do you 'check' one? I blew a trans, add a new tranny cooler and always suspected a bad cooler was the reason I blew the trans.

The modified line, is that a key element in a 94 GL wagon?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed a tranny on my GenIII. My 98 taurus doesn't have the stock auxillary cooler, tranny fluid only cooled by rediator, so i cut off the return line and connected my new cooler. There is only a short piece of hose is soft and can be cut off.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
this is good if you live in a cold spot like me in canada that what i was supposed todo install a cooler on my car on the secondary line so it stay a bit hot but coll down on second pass

the prb if i put in directly in the first aux cooler and not in the rad here in winter my car is gonna get a cool tranny like -40 all the time and it will never warm up

anyway all my friend told me not to install one cuz of that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts