Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the resonator?

Any other "heavy" items that can be replaced with lighter ones?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 16 2009, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709143
And the resonator?

Any other "heavy" items that can be replaced with lighter ones?[/b]
Resonator isnt that heavy. Cats shouldnt be because I lifted my Y-pipe assy up into my car easily with one arm when i changed the oil pan gasket.

What i think is heavy is the piping used on the catalytic converters and the exhaust manifolds

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why isn't aluminum used on the exhaust pipes? Is the exhaust that hot (700F)?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be idiotic to replace the third catalytic converter, the resonator and all the pipe up to a Flo Master 60 with aluminum pipe?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The aluminum pipe is a no-go.

Lots of people cut out the 3rd cat, and replace it with pipe. Saves a few lbs. The resonator weighs barely anything. Keep it.

If you're THAT concerned about weight, take out your floor mats and spare. Hell, maybe your back seat too. That would save you more weight than spending a LOT on some super special aluminum exhaust piping (that would likely crack horribly due to constant temperature changes).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 16 2009, 08:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709156
Would it be idiotic to replace the third catalytic converter, the resonator and all the pipe up to a Flo Master 60 with aluminum pipe?[/b]
Screw the third cat. its just a paper weight.

The resonator is a good thing to keep IMO. and you should use T-304 stainless if you dont want rust or cracks.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The exhaust system does not weigh that much. I was able to easily lift and maneuver an entire Gen III SHO cat-back, with mufflers and tips. It probably only weighed...40 pounds? It really wasn't bad at all. The only thing that's really heavy on the exhaust system are the cast exhaust manifolds.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exhaust modifications are of little benefit to the performance of the car, even if you can tune to them?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Tuning will help to take advantage of exhaust modifications.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
i just got a test pipe from Sultech, and i have a 28" 4 inch round magnaflow resonator, and im going to run dual striaght pipes after it, got the res and pipe just waiting on the tip to come and then gotta wait till i have the money (just got a new bumper and had to have a big dent fixed $500 later)

ill let you know how it comes out and if tuning impacts it at all. hopefully should get a nice deep tone with no rasp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts