Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did everyone in the club pay for a new transmission the ones that had to get it fixed.....How bad was it too... the guy said mine is completely shot and thought he could salvage some of it but he has to put new parts in.

G

·
I have heard of people having good results with a rebuild that includes a shift kit so they're "beefed up" a bit to make it hold out longer. Sorry I don't know of an exact cost though. They seem to range anywhere from $800-3000. Just depends where you go and soforth. I've heard good things about Aamco for the most part. They supposedly do good work at a reasonable price, but sometimes at the expense of customer service. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not had to get a tranny for my 97Taurus thank God, but my old 94 Altima had a rebuilt done for $2700 (canadian) and it only lasted a year. I would never do that again. If you plan to keep the car go ahead and rebuild but if you want it for the short term or just to trade in, get one from the wreckers.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If you need a new trans, you can always go the cheap route and find one from a junkyard, but you run the risk of getting an already crappy one.

JR

·
Registered
233 Posts
When my transmission casing cracked (differential bearing letting go leading to eventual failure); it was 11000AUD for a new one; 8000AUD for a rebuilt one; there were no salvageable parts from the transmission.
I ended up getting a transmission from the junk yard for 1000AUD and it turned out pretty good. I was rummaging around the car and I found the owners manual with the owners details. So I called them and asked about the transmission in their car. It was rebuilt 1000kms before the car was wrecked (it hit a kangaroo), so I was lucky.

Oh and so you guys have some perspective, my car is worth 9000AUD.

Julian

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I'm on the high end of the scale, but I'm getting my transmission rebuilt (it's fine and works great AX4N) with a shift kit, LSD, new Torque converter (welded and high speed), tranny cooler, synthetic fluid, and labor to install it, for $3600.

More of a performance base upgrade more than a necessity.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
You didn't mention how much you're going to have to pay to get it done. I just did a quick look through on the local craigslist.com and there's lots of 95-99 Taurus's going for $1400-$2500. There's even a 95 in there with 85k, a new transmission and only $1800.

At a certain point, it does become time to cut your losses.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
this will be my 4th tranny in less than a year <_< . Damn diff pin keeps wanting to make the tranny case ventilated :lol2:

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
My lovely AXOD blew last september. A day after the warranty on the transmission expired. Just got the sucka rebuilt. 1200 dollars if i remember right. Left my grandparents, and when it went for 2nd gear it blew. Thats one scary sound i must say. No gears worked after that so it apperantly threw a grenade at itself.
It still has its former ways of odd rough shifting sometimes. Even more so oddly my speedo is dead till about 25-30 mph, depending on how hard i accelerate, and the transmission doesnt know what to do with its self at times. It'll shift hard from 1st-2nd, start off in 2nd, or skip around at the shift point like it cant make up its mind. Gives my car character though. A.D.D. :unsure:

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
We paid $560 for a new USED tranny including install in our old 98 SE Vulcan. That was at like 98,000 miles...car now has over 115k and still going. The new owner couldnt be happier!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure on how much im paying yet i told him just fix what needed to be fixed including the parts for the engine. from the accident i had from the lady backing into me she could have said i rearended her but thankfully she admitteded to my insurance company she backed into me since she did damage to my front end almost 1300 dollars ive been saving my pennies :lol2: so most of the 1300 goes to the tranny and then i have more money for the rest of the cost.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got news on the transmission i guess the inside of the case was cracked so he will have it for another day :angry: but at least it will be fixed right.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay update on the transmission i guess when he was cleaning the inside of the case the inside shattered is that possible?? Also he said he cant find another case because the case he ordered didnt fit my engine i thought all the cases fit..is there a different setup for the 3.8 and sho's imho i think hes talking smack...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My parents had the tranny on their 1994 (w/ a 3.8) rebuilt for around $1,400.00. That was from a local shop.

The original owner of my (recently sold) SHO had the tranny rebuilt four times. The price ranged between $2,000 and $3,000. All work was done by a Ford dealer.

I was pretty lucky; my 89, 90 and 93 all had "tender" trannys, but I never had to have them rebuilt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did anyone have just the forward clutch piston replaced?These usually crack on the axod's and you sometimes seem like your in neutral after stopping for a light.I found a police package taurus in good shape other than this problem and want to know how much to fix it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts