Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there only a benefit to adding one trans cooler? what if i had the time and resources to install many trans coolers, say 3 or 4? Would there be a benefit? Will my transmission life increase with each trans cooler i add, because i'll do it. Are there any transmission life benchmark number i can go by? The AX4S is a transmission that is somewhat prone to failure, right? How much of a difference does a trans cooler make when it comes to the inevitabilities of a weak transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
not so much as how many, but how much dissapation area, but yes, more is better and directly proportional to the life of your tranny. Id reccomend buying the biggest one you can find....yes, it will be over $100 and more expensive the several small ones, but it will be more efficent!

Brad

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 5 2004, 09:01 PM
So one big one is better than a few small ones?
You only need one. I recommend www.bulkpart.com. Go for the hayden model # 1403.

I believe its $25, about $33 shipped.

-Damon

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I once saw something about a trans cooler with built in electric fan. Anyone else seen this and know of its benefits?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 5 2004, 09:21 PM
I once saw something about a trans cooler with built in electric fan. Anyone else seen this and know of its benefits?
I have one... BUT there's really no clearance. Unless you get a REALLY slim fan. It's a tight fit there. You might want to be careful with multiple trans coolers.... especially restrictive ones. The drop in line pressure can cause slipping and if that happens it will burn the clutches. I can't tell you how many times I've seen transmissions burn up because of restrictions in the trans lines. Also be careful when routing trans hoses, be sure the bends are not too sharp so you won't cause a restriction. Somewhere around 3 - 4 " should be the MINIMUM bend. I suggest getting one large efficient trans cooler in conjunction with the factory coolers and you'll be ok. If you really want to be safe maybe another medium sized one would be ok. Be sure they are low restriction coolers though. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use two in line with the OEM one on my '97. But I have taken measures to ensure good flow. I use a 1/2" Magnifine in line filter. I had this going to a 1/2" Hayden oil cooler then out to a 3/8" Hayden cooler. No problems. You can also use hydraulic hose and not worry about kinking or restricting on a radius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts