Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 taurus sel doesn NOT have a auxilliary cooler for tranny. would it be a good idea to put one, and what percent of these cars have one?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I have the oem and an aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have one. Replaced the OEM one. It is a good idea to get one. Mine was ~$40. If you install it your self plan on taking ~4 hours to do it. If you have someone else do it plan on ~$50 an hour.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 7 2009, 06:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723436
Nope, but it's fairly self explanitory. OEM tube cooler with hose running to the aftermarket cooler mounted to the front of the A/C condenser on the driver's side bottom corner.[/b]

If you do a search there is a detailed guide with pictures. I bypassed my OEM cooler and went just with the aftermarket cooler. Regardless of which patch you chose the install will be in the driver's side due to space issues.

One thing to notice, the power steering cooler is just below the stock transmission cooler and attached, the oem cooler can not be removed.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ May 7 2009, 06:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723439
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 7 2009, 06:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723436
Nope, but it's fairly self explanitory. OEM tube cooler with hose running to the aftermarket cooler mounted to the front of the A/C condenser on the driver's side bottom corner.[/b]

If you do a search there is a detailed guide with pictures. I bypassed my OEM cooler and went just with the aftermarket cooler. Regardless of which patch you chose the install will be in the driver's side due to space issues.

One thing to notice, the power steering cooler is just below the stock transmission cooler and attached, the oem cooler can not be removed.
[/b][/quote]
Hence my thought process of "Might as well use it"....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Post was TL;DR.

Heres my 2 cents. Get one. Its worth it. My tranny is dying a horrible death thanks to me not having one. I think the OEM cooler got clogged up or something, but its just a pipe. pretty damn useless IMO.

Get one, its cheap. very easy to install. and SO WORTH IT.

Also, it helps to remove the bumper. mine is a pain in the ass due to all my auxiliary lighting.. but, I managed to do it the other day.. once you get used to all the bolts, its not so challenging.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The OEM aux cooler is not just a pipe. Inside it has a swirled fin that causes the fluid to be forced against the sides of the tube. This along with the fact the inside is larger than the hose ports makes the fluid slow down. Both of these traits will improve the temp transfer of the fluid.

Although alone it is not up to the task it is something I would continue to use.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2004 Sable GS OHV 95k @ May 10 2009, 02:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723979
The guy in the transmission shop AAMCO told me the aux cooler is not necessary at all,
unless it is a heavy duty vehicle like SUV or pickup

QUOTE (mario2121 @ May 6 2009, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723380
my 07 taurus sel doesn NOT have a auxilliary cooler for tranny. would it be a good idea to put one, and what percent of these cars have one?[/b]
[/b][/quote]

On our vehicles, it is necessary. The fluid gets too hot too quick, especially in stop and go traffic. Our transmissions are WAY too oversensitive. Are you sure you want to chance your thAnX4Nothing or AX4Stupid cutting out on you when you need it? :rolleyes:

An Auxiliary transmission cooler is always good idea (on automatic transmissions)

and i wouldn't trust what anyone at those shops say being i figured out a problem on the jeep within 5 minutes that it took them 5 hours to NOT find.

This is why i prefer MTX's. Less heat, less need for stupid coolers and fluid changes and whatever.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
The guy in the transmission shop AAMCO told me the aux cooler is not necessary at all,

If he told you that hes full of it ( heat is what kills 99% of Taurus and Sable trannys) If I were you or anybody with an automatic tranny I will add an auxiliary tranny cooler to the stock one. Many people including myself install the tranny cooler from the 93-95 automatic taurus sho (its large, its pretty and it does the job really really good)
My 97 has 192,000 miles and climbing every day with no tranny issues and has been abused many many times with alot of interstate driving over 3 digits. (original tranny of course) B) so please do your car a favor and install a tranny cooler.

Note: I have one if anybody is interested see my parts sale post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I feel those ATX professionals know exactly what's going on in this transmission.
They just hope your tranmission may fail one day, so they can make thousands of $$
out of it.

QUOTE (SHOMEX @ May 10 2009, 07:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724004

If he told you that hes full of it ( heat is what kills 99% of Taurus and Sable trannys) If I were you or anybody with an automatic tranny I will add an auxiliary tranny cooler to the stock one. Many people including myself install the tranny cooler from the 93-95 automatic taurus sho (its large, its pretty and it does the job really really good)
My 97 has 192,000 miles and climbing every day with no tranny issues and has been abused many many times with alot of interstate driving over 3 digits. (original tranny of course) B) so please do your car a favor and install a tranny cooler.

Note: I have one if anybody is interested see my parts sale post.[/b]

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
Peice of mind. Tranny and power steering coolers.

I've heard shops say a cooler isn't needed at all on the trans. BS. Look at how close the steering rack and trans are to the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
If you love your car, you'll add an aux tranny cooler. One day when I'm feeling frisky, I'll hook my oem back up and run it to the aux cooler. At the time I had a good reason for bypassing it... Turns out it was a bad reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts