Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm currently at 299,915 miles on my 2000 Taurus and was going to hit my goal of 300K tomorrow and 4 miles from home tonight, it started making a horrible roaring engine noise so I made it home and hear a rattle from the timing cover area. Kinda scared to drive it now, so it looks like I won't hit my goal of 300k ? it's been a good 18yr run.

·
Registered
2003 Ford Taurus DOHC 201k miles
1 Posts
201k- rebuilt trans, coil, plug wires. Burns oil. Oil pressure light comes on at low rpm. Plan to take it to 300k.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
338 Posts
I'm currently at 299,915 miles on my 2000 Taurus and was going to hit my goal of 300K tomorrow and 4 miles from home tonight, it started making a horrible roaring engine noise so I made it home and hear a rattle from the timing cover area. Kinda scared to drive it now, so it looks like I won't hit my goal of 300k ? it's been a good 18yr run.
That does not seem fair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That does not seem fair.
IT starts and can drive, but listening to the noise, it sounds like its coming from the front chain, so im guessing a tensioner or guide went bad. I could just try to drive it on the highway and try to hit the magical 300K mark lol. Not sure how much of a task it is to repalce the timing chain, or just repalce the guide itself. Might just sell it for parts for $5-600 and call it a day.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts