Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many kinds of Syn fluid out there from a mixture to "premium" Syn fluids.

What kind do you use?

Did you notice an difference in tranny feel, sound, performance, fuel economy etc....

**I currently am using Maxlife Dex/Merc that is said to be a Syn fluid. Seems to be working fine so far.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use Amsoil. It holds up to the high temps I see when pushing the car hard. Change it every 30k or so.

Max Life is not a synthetic. Says it's made out of base oil stock.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant this one: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...870&fpart=2

Has a pic of the back of the bottle saying Synthetic Fluid. But their term of "premium" base stocks on the website is a little vague. Premium could be Group III or IV/V.

I know it is no Mobil 1, Redline, Royal purple or Amsoil etc.......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know. I guess it depends on what "premium" means to them. Probably a Group III synthetic. Not high end like your Amsoil.

The back of the bottle uses the term synthetic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the Valvoline Mercon V in my Sable. It also advertises about shudder control. Or something like that. Seems to work very well. When I change it next time I will use the same stuff. It does say that it is synthetic on the bottle.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I'm using Valvoline Full Synthetic Mercon V. I haven't noticed a difference from what was already in the car before (don't know as I just did the first trans flush and it's a used car).

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I'm using Valvoline Full Synthetic Mercon V. I haven't noticed a difference from what was already in the car before (don't know as I just did the first trans flush and it's a used car).
[/b]
So what if you had the same fluid in it before......

:toilet_claw:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Using the same fluid as Luke, Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. Car had some fluid "flush" at 77K for $60 in 2005. Otherwise, the pan gasket and filter were factory. You have no idea how much smoother it shifts in and out of gears, and the torque converter engagement as well is smoother.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's an interesting little TSB I found while searching the Ford Truck Enthusiast website. You'll notice that Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus cars are covered in this TSB regarding Mercon V fluid. If I understand correctly, Mercon V is a synthetic fluid. Someone mentioned that Mercon V will correct torque converter shudder. I had this problem in my 1994 Thunderbird and a switch to Motorcraft Mercon V fixed that right up!

Edit:

Rats... I'm not allowed to post the TSB, so I've deleted it form this post. However, you can find it here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/sh...php?tsb=06-14-4

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use Mobil 1 ATF and Mobil 1 oil in mine, since I switched the ATF to Mobil 1, I've noticed it shifts a little smoother and not as jerky as the 4f50n's usually are. I guess they seem to work better with full synthetic ATF, and supposed to run a little cooler, too. Grandma's Lincoln Continental also had Mobil 1 ATF in it before she hung up her driving gloves and sold it, when I last drove it, it shifted very smooth with 105k on it. Bummer I bought the bull before she sold the Lincoln-I wanted it. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ Jan 26 2009, 09:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=696238
I know. I guess it depends on what "premium" means to them. Probably a Group III synthetic. Not high end like your Amsoil.

The back of the bottle uses the term synthetic.[/b]
Group III is not a synthetic. It's just a higher refined petroleum oil. Big oil got a law passed letting them call it synthetic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ Jan 26 2009, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=696225
I know there are many kinds of Syn fluid out there from a mixture to "premium" Syn fluids.

What kind do you use?

Did you notice an difference in tranny feel, sound, performance, fuel economy etc....

**I currently am using Maxlife Dex/Merc that is said to be a Syn fluid. Seems to be working fine so far.[/b]
My son has a VW jetta. VW transmissions are supposed to be fill for life. At 57K it did not shift right (hard shifting). So we put Amsoil's ATF in it and now it shifts the way its supposed to. I know of a 95 Sable wagon in which the tranny gave it up at 375K. Amsoil it's whole life.

·
Registered
82 Posts
why is it so hard to find synt Mercon V? Ford does not have it. NAPA used to have valvoline fully synt but when I went yesterday to buy it they tried to pull a fast one on me and told me it's synt even though the bottle does not say so anymore. I don't know whether NAPA or Valvoline messed up, but I do know that it is not synt or they'd write that on the bottle.
Anyone using Mobil1 universal ATF synt? The back of the bottle says it substitutes Mercon V and it's the only synt Mercon V I can get around here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts