Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine just started to chirp and it seems to be intermittent especially during humid days. The noise will range from slight chirp to an annoying scrapping chirp. Is this something that can wait a few hundred miles or so or is disaster imminent?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't have a recommendation only my own experience. Mine lasted about a month of squeaking before it started causing ingnition problems and had to be replaced. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
ASAP. How long it will last is nothing more than a guess, and once it goes you're looking at a destroyed engine rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
change it NOW, the consequences are too dire to face.
go on line and get the parts make sure you get the oem part (camshaft syncronizer) and the thing that sits on top of it (cant remember the name).
the after market parts simply do not work properly and will fail very early.
i got mine for about $80 on line so shop around on line.
REPEAT DO NOT GET AFTER MARKET PART, OEM FORD ONLY!!!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This evening I drove around for about a half hour and it was quiet, no noise at all. I will get it replaced this week. If it starts making that loud screeching chirp I'll park it until it is fixed. Thanks everyone.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
ASAP. How long it will last is nothing more than a guess, and once it goes you're looking at a destroyed engine rather quickly.
+1
I waited too long on mine, lost the oil pump and, well, you can guess the rest...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Dont wait to replace it. Replace it ASAP. OEM ford and A1Cardone are good parts.

There is no "time" it can be either tomorrow or in 5 minutes. Its a ticking timebomb.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Mine made it about 3 days when it wouldnt start "easily". I knew it was time, luckily something special arrived in the mail that day ;)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
This evening I drove around for about a half hour and it was quiet, no noise at all. I will get it replaced this week. If it starts making that loud screeching chirp I'll park it until it is fixed. Thanks everyone.
This approach is how you lose a $3000 engine to delay putting in a $100 part.

The fact that it WAS chirping and isn't anymore is not necessarily a good thing either.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It seems to chirp more at lower engine speeds and quiets at cruising speeds, IMHO.
Thats dangerous because now it could just stop at any moment and your oil pump will stop and by the time the red oil light comes on your engine is TOAST. ;) Mine was the same way.. there was very little shaft play, but the assy would not rotate easily when it would "squeek" and it could have easily said "NOPE NOT SPINNING THE OIL PUMP ANYMORE" at any point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car had this issue too a few years ago. I drove for a few weeks before I found out what it was and had it fixed. It started out only at start up, but progressively got worse. Given what I now know, I agree you should get it taken care of soon. A moonlighting mechanic friend did it for me and he said the hardest part was getting timing correct. Good Luck with getting this fixed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats dangerous because now it could just stop at any moment and your oil pump will stop and by the time the red oil light comes on your engine is TOAST. ;) Mine was the same way.. there was very little shaft play, but the assy would not rotate easily when it would "squeek" and it could have easily said "NOPE NOT SPINNING THE OIL PUMP ANYMORE" at any point.
At how many miles?

I already ordered the part folks, so please keep your pants on for some reason everyone is huge on telling me to fix mine, but won't say how many miles they lety there's slide. THE PART HAS BEEN ORDERED.

HOW MANY MILES DID YOU LET YOUR GO BEFORE FIXING IT???????

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Mine started chirping, and I fixed it within 100 miles. I'm glad I did. I used OEM parts only and it wasn't that bad of a repair.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
At how many miles?

I already ordered the part folks, so please keep your pants on for some reason everyone is huge on telling me to fix mine, but won't say how many miles they lety there's slide. THE PART HAS BEEN ORDERED.

HOW MANY MILES DID YOU LET YOUR GO BEFORE FIXING IT???????

Started squeeking at 109K, I replaced it within 10 miles.

But seriously. It can go out at any time. It can go out at 135K and just stop. Or it can go out at 145K squeek and last 500 miles.. My point if its squeeking dont drive it like that. Glad you got the part on order.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Just replace the damn part....

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. Car is parked until I get it replaced! Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just replace the damn part....
I said I already ordered the F'in part!

I'm gonna break away from the usual trend here, and actually post something useful (new, updated and pertinent information).

I already ordered the part, posts just saying replace it are redundant, if that's all you can say no need to post! Tired of hearing your crap.

I ordered the Motocraft shaft and the Dorman for the top part and the special tool that is included.

The parts arrived today, and I noticed that the Dorman is still the same old crappy part (and stamped with the same part number). All they did was change the part number on the box to try and make it look like they redesigned it, I repeat the DORMAN PART STILL SUCKS (the shaft part). BUt for the $35 you get your money out of the sensore and the realignment tool.

Will install this weekend if it's ok with the idiots that keep redudantly telling me to change the part which I was already in the midst of doing before I ever F'ing posted. I was waiting for the part you repetitive jackasses (you know ***** you are).

I meant to as what mileage people have changed their's (how many miles on the odometer, not how many miles did you drive it after it was squeaking).

Mine is at about 113K.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts