Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please forgive me if I'm crazy, but is this the same solution for the highway changes in RPM & the torque converter clutch issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rebuilt AX4S Valve Body

My turn to return something to the club and members for very helpful information.

Doing research through this forum, I correctly diagnosed the problem with my 1993 Mercury Sable as having the very same issue as repeated throughout this topic, after the vehicle attains operating temperature, the vehicle transmission does not shift after coming to a stop.

I thought it would be better to have the valve body rebuilt than to just go to a junkyard and yank one out of any of a large number of Taurus or Sables that were on the yard.

I called a few local transmission shops and the price range was about the same general range. $1000 to have the valve body replaced if I had the vehicle towed in.

$500 ballpark was the price if I removed the valve body myself and took it in for a bench rebuild.

I began searching online and I found a company in Tampa Florida that has the valve body completely rebuilt for quite a bit less that will save anyone doing this job themselves a lot of money.

The part lists on their web site for $149 + shipping. What they don't tell you is that there is also a $20 core charge, but the total still comes to $189 which is a great savings over what all of the local transmission shops wanted for a bench job.

AX4S FORD TRANSMISSION VALVEBODY

The part was shipped FedEx ground and came about 5 days after I ordered it.

I would like to thank the car club, and powertoolman for all of this great information on how to perform this job.

More than luck, I wish everyone success that attempts this job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good information is still helpful years later.

Ordered the Sonnex kit and installed it today. Sadly the crappy paper gasket between the VB and the solenoid plate is junk and needs to be replaced.

Anyone know the part number? It's Saturday in AZ so nothing is open but I'm hoping to have this job buttoned up Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Which of these transmissions would have come in my 04? My car has had it changed and it currently has an AX4N in it now. Is that what would have come in it from the factory?
Also, which one of these tranny's is the most improved one?

If I am going to put an external cooler on this trans, which cooling line on the radiator tank is the incoming fluid and which one is the outgoing?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the write ups on these big repairs.

·
Administrator
14,945 Posts
All '04's had the AX4N (renamed the 4F50N in '01) to further satisfy yourself look at the door jamb data plate and you will see an X under the letters TR.
There are many threads here on adding a cooler

·
Registered
92 Posts
All '04's had the AX4N (renamed the 4F50N in '01) to further satisfy yourself look at the door jamb data plate and you will see an X under the letters TR.
There are many threads here on adding a cooler
Adding a cooler sounds like a good idea, the power steering has a factory cooler on the 96 Taurus I am debugging, but not the transmission.

We are replacing the EPS solenoid with a new OEM part tomorrow, after weeks of tests on and off road, and pressure gauge tests per the ATSG service manual that all suggest that the EPC solenoid is bad, Getting 0 prressure one minute (acts like it is neutral when in any gear) then massive pressure over 200 psi when it decides to go into gear. We flushed it many times (the fluid looked like backed molasses) and it slowly tried to work again, even made a week of heavy driving with zero issues, then in high way stop and go traffic it stopped again. It seems to want to work cold and not when hot.

We will inspect the valve body while the cover is off. I an 100% sure the other solenoids and sensors are not the problem. Down to the EPC, or valve body. I seriously doubt it is pump or pump shaft as it has power like a beast when it goes into gear and ran for an entire week of heavy DD use after the first 3 times it went into the only neutral mode.
Thanks to those who came before for leaving clues on how to get at the valve body with out tearing the entire vehicle apart. We did it with out touching the steering or suspension at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ended up putting a cooler from an Escape in this car. So far, so good.
What I did was find a taurus at the pick and pull that had an external cooler. I then took the top hose coming out of the radiator tank cooler from it as it curled around to the front of the car and down to the bottom to the cooler that ran parallel with the power steering cooler. The escape cooler is much bigger than the tiny little one on the donor car, and also not destroyed from impact.
As you can imagine there was some modifications needed to make it fit, but nothing big at all. I had to mount the cooler to the power steering pipe and run my return hose back to the trans across the radiator as the inlet and outlet of this cooler were on the same side. I think it is helping, shifts good and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks or codes. I am getting this car very late in the game, so I don't know how it was treated before.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I ended up putting a cooler from an Escape in this car. So far, so good.
What I did was find a taurus at the pick and pull that had an external cooler. I then took the top hose coming out of the radiator tank cooler from it as it curled around to the front of the car and down to the bottom to the cooler that ran parallel with the power steering cooler. The escape cooler is much bigger than the tiny little one on the donor car, and also not destroyed from impact.
As you can imagine there was some modifications needed to make it fit, but nothing big at all. I had to mount the cooler to the power steering pipe and run my return hose back to the trans across the radiator as the inlet and outlet of this cooler were on the same side. I think it is helping, shifts good and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks or codes. I am getting this car very late in the game, so I don't know how it was treated before.
Interesting, I might have to look into doing that. Did your 2004 have a trans cooler from the factory? Just smaller? Or did it pass through the radiator?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My Explorer has an auxiliary cooler. In stop and go traffic that cooler does nothing (or just very little), since it is not really in the main fan air stream.
On highway driving, the transmission temperatures on both Explorer and Sable are very low. Only while in stop and go traffic, summer time (90+ temps), the transmission gets hotter.

The auxiliary tube on Taurus/Sable is in the air stream, so moving the cooler somewhere else can even make things worse.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts