Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great write up! Shouldn't this be in the "Solutions to Common Problems/How to" articles? I realize this is not the most common probem, but it is an excellent "How to" article.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Damn man, feel free to strip us of info anytime you want, so long as this is how we're repaid. :grin2: Well written and shot.
[/b]

I was going to ask you a question i'm having problems with vehicle running on 1st gear but not shifting to

second gear, it runs reverse but that's all. I'm buying a solenoid package that includes all five solenoids for $145.50, i'm just going to change all solenoids and see if that well fix problem any advice you could give me that may prove me wrong that solenoids won't be the problem and may need a transmission rebuild pls respond

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Just wanted to post in this thread in case I have to rebuild the tranny on my kids car

Mike
:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this job a few weeks ago. It went very well thanks to your detailed instructions. I'll add two items that may help.

1) The two studs holding the engine mount frame have a hex in the end. Remove the studs and manipulating the frame will be MUCH easier, both in removal and installation.

2) If this is your own vehicle, you can take a shortcut so you don't have to loosen the main front cross member at all. The engine mount frame has two gussets that strengthen the pad that sits on the engine mount. One of the gussets is squared off while the other is angled at approximately 45 degrees. Since it's the squared off gusset that interferes during removal I took a grinder and cut off the top corner that was causing problems. I can't think of any reason why this gusset would be squared off as the strength of an angled gusset should be quite sufficient. The square gusset can be seen in the photo of the engine mount.

My problem was with a loss of 4th gear where retaining clip (~$5.00) broke in the valve body and was easy enough to replace. Now that I've done this once I'd estimate that it would only take about 4 hours to do the whole job thanks to your instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '95 Taurus that is very slow about shifting back into lst
gear. The motor revs until it decises to re-engage. Everytime I stops
the same problem with re-starting in lst gear occurs. Got any idea
what my problem is? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have a '95 Taurus that is very slow about shifting back into lst
gear. The motor revs until it decises to re-engage. Everytime I stops
the same problem with re-starting in lst gear occurs. Got any idea
what my problem is? Thanks!
[/b]
Sounds like a cracked forward clutch piston. Common problem on older cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments. When I get to the office tommorrow I will look to see if I have the other pictures I took. If I find them, I will edit the original posting to include them.

Tony O^Ng CO.p
Dear Sirs: Still no Joy. I belong to other forums on gun collecting and Aviation and have no trouble communicating, geting questions answered, etc. I just can't get the hang of TCCA system. What am I missing in your instructions?
I really need help in understanding my transmission problems. I think that it is something simple and I don't trust my local Trans Mech for any RIGHT answeres. Vested interests you know.
Please take the time to answer this and get me on the right track.
Tony O^Ng CO.p
Cochran, Ga.

First Try:
Greeting Sirs: I think that I'm signed in?? My user name is "Tony O^Ng CO.p". (I spent a little time in South East Asia with the 214th Combat Avi. Co.)
I have been tring to connect with the forum and the guy (powertools, Jan 2005) who repaired his AX4N trans on his '96 Taurus.
My problem is that it shifts nicely in the Drive and/or OD detent, but not in REVERSEundefined and acts like once in awhile it will try to take off in manual 1st.
I bought it as is from a lady. The lady had some shop replace the 3.0 engine and that's when the shift problems started.
I followedQuestion outline. Dropped the Trany, removed the side cover. Everything worked just like he said. I checked all the solinoids, resistance wise and functional operation. All Ok.
I dropped the main pan. A little dark thick settlement, but the fluid looked good and no metal bits and pieces. I flushed out the Trans cooler.
Then I put it all back together, waited untill the compute settled in. I tried it and it's the same thing.
Since the Reverse or Manual 1st gear isn't electronicaly controled, could it be something about the way the "TRS" was set up.
Nothing in my book is clear about how to do that? Like they think it was something that I should have been born knowing.
I keep thinking that it all relates back to the engine change. I like the car, I bought it for my son. One of my other son's has '98 with the Duratec (sp?) and I have three 91 model Taurus. The only bad thing is that I have killed several deer with them. I use my '91 Taurus SW to haul all my aircraft tools and parts for my AV8'er work, very useful. I really like the Taurus. I've been a GM/Chevy man until I got the first "91 Bull.
Cheers, Tony O^Ng CO.p
I hope that you can get this on the Forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[attachmentid=26032][attachmentid=26032]
Thanks for the positive comments. When I get to the office tommorrow I will look to see if I have the other pictures I took. If I find them, I will edit the original posting to include them.

Tony O^Ng CO.p
Dear Sirs: Still no Joy. I belong to other forums on gun collecting and Aviation and have no trouble communicating, geting questions answered, etc. I just can't get the hang of TCCA system. What am I missing in your instructions?
I really need help in understanding my transmission problems. I think that it is something simple and I don't trust my local Trans Mech for any RIGHT answeres. Vested interests you know.
Please take the time to answer this and get me on the right track.
Tony O^Ng CO.p
Cochran, Ga.

First Try:
Greeting Sirs: I think that I'm signed in?? My user name is "Tony O^Ng CO.p". (I spent a little time in South East Asia with the 214th Combat Avi. Co.)
I have been tring to connect with the forum and the guy (powertools, Jan 2005) who repaired his AX4N trans on his '96 Taurus.
My problem is that it shifts nicely in the Drive and/or OD detent, but not in REVERSEundefined and acts like once in awhile it will try to take off in manual 1st.
I bought it as is from a lady. The lady had some shop replace the 3.0 engine and that's when the shift problems started.
I followedQuestion outline. Dropped the Trany, removed the side cover. Everything worked just like he said. I checked all the solinoids, resistance wise and functional operation. All Ok.
I dropped the main pan. A little dark thick settlement, but the fluid looked good and no metal bits and pieces. I flushed out the Trans cooler.
Then I put it all back together, waited untill the compute settled in. I tried it and it's the same thing.
Since the Reverse or Manual 1st gear isn't electronicaly controled, could it be something about the way the "TRS" was set up.
Nothing in my book is clear about how to do that? Like they think it was something that I should have been born knowing.
I keep thinking that it all relates back to the engine change. I like the car, I bought it for my son. One of my other son's has '98 with the Duratec (sp?) and I have three 91 model Taurus. The only bad thing is that I have killed several deer with them. I use my '91 Taurus SW to haul all my aircraft tools and parts for my AV8'er work, very useful. I really like the Taurus. I've been a GM/Chevy man until I got the first "91 Bull.
Cheers, Tony O^Ng CO.p
I hope that you can get this on the Forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Quite frankly your post are difficult to read. Try putting everything in plain text with normal punctuation.

And there is no such thing as a '91 3.0L Yamaha motor with an ATX.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hi Tony,

Type up exactly what you want to say in the message window, then hit the add reply button at the bottom of the message window. Don't change any font, sizes, or other stuff. Just simple text should work here :)

Tony aint a spammer.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
spammer maybe?
[/b]
Not a spammer. Computer n00bie, yeah, but not a spammer.

[attachmentid=26032][attachmentid=26032][/b]
From the attached documents:

I didn’t understand the profile setup so I kind of skipped that, but here it tis, off the cuff.
I have three Taurus’s , 91 sedan, 91 SW, 96 GL and a 91 Sable all with 3.0 engine.
I’m an AV8’er and have been a fixed-wing and rotor-wing mechanic, so I’m acquainted with how to turn a wrench.
My DOB is 07-02-1927 that makes me be 81 next month. I continue to work for the USAF in their EW-Avionics Shop. I like what I do. I have a CGS Hawk Classic Ultra-Lite and a 2300 foot airstrip on my farm. I’m a Gun collector and Deer hunter. I didn’t do too good on the farm but I got two Bucks with my Taurus last year.

The ’96 is the one that I’m having trouble with, the AX4N transmission. Shifts fine in Drive and Overdrive, but no Reverse or Manual 1st gear.
I’ve checked all the solenoids, they are working (although the reverse gear is non-electric) I had both pans off, no metal chips or trash.
Still doesn’t work.
Can anyone help me?
Cheers, Tony O^Ng CO.p[/b]
Props to an 81 year old wrenching on his car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry Folks; I'm a writer of short stories about life and Army Aviation. Realizing that all of my readers are not into the military aviation scene I try to write so that everyone will understand. Apparently I have failed with this Taurus group. I did my best to include all the clues that would help more knowlegable people dianose my problem.
(Sorry about the spelling. I never got good with that) No spell checker here.
Cheers any how from Tony (the pretty old Tiger)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts