Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled up my tank today and for the first time my distance to empty went over 400 miles! (410 to be exact). The gas gauge also went past the full marker.

So what I'm asking from Gen 4.5+ owners is how high have you seen your distance to empty go up to?
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":true,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
420ish miles til empty. I believe it was around 427 or so.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
I will be watching mine next time I fill up, and will document it with a photo if worthwhile. Usually is above 400 though.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
After a lot of highway traveling leading into a fill-up, it showed '479 miles to E' on the information center display in my '05.

My '87 had showed '524 miles to empty' for the same reason, just this past weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
2003 Vulcan, so no trip computer.

Ball park, my low fuel Indicator came on leaving Schenectady, exit 6 on i - 890 headed towards Albany.

I RAN OUT OF FUEL half way between exit 24 and exit 23 on the nys thruway. I should calculate the distance.

I'm Glad I had AllState road side assistance, shame I didn't make it to my interview. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I've never run a tank till "E" so I haven't tried figuring it out. I don't like seeing the needle go too far below 1/4 tank. If I fill up the tank and the needle goes a little past F, then the trip computer has said I can get more than 400 miles till E. I've found that the computer in the dash is pretty accurate.

On a somewhat related note, the gas pumps at my preferred filling stations, Holiday, don't ever seem to fill my tank to actual full. They stop before that. I almost always squeeze a few more dollars into the tank. It's mainly just at Holiday pumps that it happens, if I try to "top off" the tank at other stations, sometimes I spill a little gas :curse:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess 400+ miles isn't uncommon. I topped off my tank a few times this year and got 390 one day and 380 the next. This was both at the same gas station; a new Speedway that just opened. The 380 miles didn't seem right and after looking at the receipt I should have been able to squeeze in a few more gallons by my calculations. I was surprised when it hit 410 miles after filling up yesterday at a different station. I wonder if that depends on the gas pumps or the fact that the car was on a slight slope while filling.

it'sthatcar, In the past I've found that the distance to empty would sometimes be inaccurate after partly filling the tank, especially after adding fuel from a container. The interval would decrease 3-4 miles for every mile driven and would do so for 10-15 miles until a accurate reading was established. After topping off and resetting the average MPG, the miles to empty appears to be much more accurate.<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":true,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
460 and change, iirc. I've gone well past that though; the computer adjusts while driving. One thing I've noticed is that the car seems to read "Low Fuel Level" way before getting anywhere close to using all 19 gallons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen just over 500 before and usually go well over 400 before a fill up. I always keep filling til it won't take another drop, which is usually ~4 gallons more than the pump automatically puts in.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
460 and change, iirc. I've gone well past that though; the computer adjusts while driving. One thing I've noticed is that the car seems to read "Low Fuel Level" way before getting anywhere close to using all 19 gallons.
The manual states that you have approx. 2 gallons left when the 'low fuel level' message is displayed. At that point, the needle is already on the empty marker.
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":true,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts

Was on a long road trip. 20 gallon tank and getting about 29mpg the entire way! It lasted just about that long too. We had to pee before we could go 500 miles lol but it would have lasted.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Pfft. Who needs a distance to empty counter when you have an amazingly inaccurate FoMoCo fuel gauge? :lol:

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
I don't even listen to my DTE gauge. It's horribly inaccurate for me.....

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
The manual states that you have approx. 2 gallons left when the 'low fuel level' message is displayed. At that point, the needle is already on the empty marker.
Okay, that would seem about right. Absurd though. I'm used to GM products, with closer to 1/2 gallon left. I guess that's part of the reason Ford fuel pumps last longer.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Hooray!

·
Registered
159 Posts
driving to near empty is really not good for the fuel pump.
overfilling to overflowing is another bad idea .

sorry ...did not want to come off as a jerk here...but ...just saying.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Highest I have seen is 440ish miles, but its an irrelevant number for me. I NEVER let any vehicle get below 1/4 tank. I hate replacing fuel pumps.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Based on math, I know I can get around 450 out of a tank on the highway. But I always chicken out and refill just before 400.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts