Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the rims on my gen3 with new ones. The stock 15x6s are heavier than my new 18x7s with tires. My new rims are only 20 lbs. and they are chrome. My stock 15x6s are silver. I always thought that bigger chrome rims would be heavier than my stock rims.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Cheap materials that are used in aftermarket rims are lighter.

I don't care how much lighter Aftermarkets are, I won't be putting those on any of my cars. My last experience was a NIGHTMARE!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it really that bad, where did you get the rims from? I got my rims and tires from tireraack.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
My last set was from Pep Boys, I am sure yours may be better.

My major beef with them is that most are uni-lug design, which means it fits multiple cars. Sometimes they have a tendency to shake at highway speeds and require spacers.

Secondary reasons are that a Ford Engineer told me that aftermarket rims aren't as safe during accident situations. There is a reason why stock rims are heavy, its for safety and drivability.

I don't know if these are reasons enough to sware off Aftermarkets. I am more then happy with my SHO Slicers, they look fancy enough for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that is the case, there is a reason why everything in the taurus is the way it is. That seems like an excuse since almost everyone has modified the suspension which ford purpose built to handle the way it does. Rims are no exception.

G

·
nope, this is without tires, I had to order a new rim b/c my old one was cracked and the box it was shipped in said 21lbs right on it.

G

·
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Aug 9 2004, 09:32 PM
My last set was from Pep Boys, I am sure yours may be better.

My major beef with them is that most are uni-lug design, which means it fits multiple cars. Sometimes they have a tendency to shake at highway speeds and require spacers.

Secondary reasons are that a Ford Engineer told me that aftermarket rims aren't as safe during accident situations. There is a reason why stock rims are heavy, its for safety and drivability.

I don't know if these are reasons enough to sware off Aftermarkets. I am more then happy with my SHO Slicers, they look fancy enough for me.
I work at PepBoys and yes they are required to inform you about the aftermarket spacings. I always go with Stock rims, if you're going for performace....

Coming from my Automotive instructer, take this senerio for example.

Two Taurus', Equal in everyway. Roll off the plant. One with Steel Wheels and one with Premiun Wheels. The owner of the Steel wheeled Taurus, take the vehicle in to a aftermarket rim shop, and buys aftermarket rims for the Taurus. As the Premium Wheeled Taurus leave the vehicle Stock.

They meet each other at the light. Time to race. (pretending that launch and other race factors are equal between both vehicles) Who do you think is going to win??

Yes, the Taurus with the premium wheels. Those wheels are made for the Taurus for a reason, they are engineered ro be able to stand the Torque and HP of this vehicle. Also in case it were to get into a collision, the wheels its self are staying on the vehicle.

When it comes down to it. Stock Wheels (Premium) are the way to go.

Sal

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My '99 SHO 6.5" rims weigh 17.5 lbs. The '97 SHO 6.5" rims weighed 19 lbs. My Borbet Type E 7.5"rims weigh 20 lbs. All are 16".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts