Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bulb? Mine has been out since i bought the car ( like 2 months) and i figure i better fix it soon, rather than temp fate. In the manual, it says to bring it to a dealer to change the bulb but id rather not.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You have a Gen III Taurus. What you need to do depends on which bulb is out. If the bulb is part of the light fixture attached to the trunk lid, you'll need to remove the black plastic cover that encases the lights, and find the appropriate harness, remove the bulb and harness from the light frame, and replace the bulb. Installation is "the reverse of removal." If the bulb is part of the car (not part of the trunk-lid), you'll need to remove the carpet in the trunk. Pop up the centers of the black plastic retainers and pull them out. You'll either see bolts to remove the lense housing, or you'll see the harnesses themselves. Remove what you need to remove so that you can get to the harnesses. Remove the harness, remove the bulb. Test. Replace. Install and push all the carpet back down.

JR

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Take off trim panel behind the light. Use a small flathead to pry up the center locking clips, you should be able to pull out the whole retaining clip after that. Remove three nuts holding the brake light assembly. Pull out the brake light assembly and disconnect all wiring. Twist out the bulb.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just changed that bulb myself. Had to disassemble the whole thing just to change the little bulb!! You know some parts were never meant to be taken apart and had to force my way in, when removing the plastic shield in the center of the trunk's wall.

BE careful when you remove the bulb because it has two plastic things that hold it in place. I broke one of those but the other held well.

Don't overtighten the nuts when you reassemble and make sure the taillight seats well in its place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts