Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I respect you guys and gals in this forum immensly, so I'm gonna ask you before I dive into this. You all know your **** when it comes to Taurus's.

I have a 1998 Taurus and did not get keys with it, other than for the ignition. I have a remote opener (only 1), so if I loose that or lock it in the car while it's running, well I'm gonna have to break a window to get in.

Solution: Replace the doorlock keys. Is this easy enough for a pretty handy guy (myself) to do or should I just get a locksmith? The dealer was no help at all! Looking forward to any responses and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So the key you have for the ignition doesn't work in the doors? Are you sure the door lock cylinders aren't just siezed? Try spraying WD40 into them and see if they free up. Otherwise, it's not really that big of a pain to change the cylinders. You can get the individual cylinders from the dealer, and you'll have to code/build them yourself to work with your existing key. Or you can buy the whole lock set, which may come with the cylinders all already built, and 2 keys - the parts guy could tell you. Changing them out isn't that hard. Take of the door panel, and i think there's just a big clip on the inside of the door that holds the lock in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts