Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The OEM evaporator core went bad on my 2000 Taurus Duratek at ~80k miles. I had a repair shop owner tell me that he would not replace just the evap core because the case assembly that holds the evap core was nearly impossible to get open, and then reassembled correctly again. He also said I was lucky to find one still in stock somewhere. Fyi, here's that (manually controlled) part easily available :
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-evaporator-assy_yf1z-19850-eb.html?Make=Ford&Model=Taurus&Year=2000&Submodel=&Filter=(e=6-cyl-3-0l;t=4at-ax4n)&Location=pd:,

I took the shop at their word and was charged $699 (ie. Ford retail price) for that part.

What does your truth-o-meter say about not being able to stuff the OEM case with a new evap core and re-assemble without problems? Can it be done or was the shop correct with their claim it never works out right?

Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to request the old case in advance just to see for myself. Duh to me.

I appreciate your first hand experience working with this part.

Regards . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just finished taking my case out, disassembled, reassembled, with new evaporator and heater core, then reinstalled. A couple of the plastic locks broke, but there are more than enough screws holding the unit together. The only problem I ran into was not all the screw locations had screws in them from the factory, and I had to move a few of them around when reassembling. Nothing a few pictures wouldn't have prevented.

It can be tricky getting the various air control doors and flaps installed correctly. My small temperature blend door was warped, and was a real pain. It catches on the larger one, and can sometimes prevent the servo from stroking the blend doors to the coldest setting.

Your mechanic may have told you he didn't want to open the case due to previous bad experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Precision Transmission. I think you're right. He mentioned he's opened cases before and had problems. He was a BMW mechanic in his earlier career, so I doubt he's gun shy about difficult assemblies. Maybe he billed 1 hour and it took him 4 to get it done on some previous job (or worse yet, had to pull the dash to re-fix something, ha!, not funny really).

Ok, lets let him slide on this. I did get him to back down from $699 to $599 on the part when it was time to pay up (I'm sorry I forgot to include that fact above). So he made ~$100 for placing a part order. But that would have been $200 to every other non-DIY-weekend-motorhead customer.

Thanks for sharing your thought and experience : )

Regards . . .

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rsteve56,

That TSB may come in real handy for the shop. Today, the A/C is not as cold as it has been since getting out of the shop on 7/31. Thank you very much for providing that link.

Note that the original "as built" OEM P/N was YF1Z-19850-EB. You'll see in that fordpartsgiant link above that the new "Replaced By" p/n is 1F1Z-19850-B. We have to wonder if the "Replaced By" p/n has the updated blend door, and . . . wonder which part he actually ordered and installed.

Regards . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts