Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to have to change a injector on cyl 2 next week end i have worked on cars before and i have some idea but i have not done it on a newer car i know i need to take off the plenum and unbolt the egr valve from the plenum so my question is how hard is it to change things out

·
Registered
19 Posts
havent had to but i may need to soon, Have a cylinder 2 misfire for the past 3 weeks or so and still have it after changing spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and tested the coil and found it to be in good condition. Changing PCV valve tomorrow and if that doesnt work and I find no vacuum leaks ill be checking the injector soon after. Ill try to stay updated

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
They are not too difficult. You pull the upper intake and everything associated with that, then pull the fuel rail.

The biggest things is to replace all the injector o rings, and stuff, they are cheap, and they are cheap insurance against leaks. Lubricate the new seals with some light petroleum based oil. Keep everything clean. Actually testing the injector I hear can be tricky, I've never done it before. I have pulled injectors on other cars, again, they are fairly accessible on a Taurus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What engine are you replacing said injector on? 3.0 or 3.8? Vulcan or Duratec?

I've currently got the intake manifold separated (im doing the transmission on my '00 SE) and I don't see why you couldn't have everything torn apart in about 90 minutes. General procedure would be take the airbox and MAF off, undo about 12-16 bolts, mark and undo any necessary sensors and fittings, etc. Just take your time... consult a Haynes manual or something if you need to.
Also, +1 to what KhanTyranitar said.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
You'll probably need torx bits!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i changed it out and it was easy egr valve plenum so if i was going to rate it as a beer job 1 being easy as hell 10 being a pain in the butt i would have to say it was a 1 1/2 beer :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts