Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Example:

Part Description: F7DE-9D475A4A,BA,B4A
Part Number: CX-1740

Fordparts.com $94.71

O'Reilly Auto Parts $77.99

Is Ford marking their parts up that much? BTW, this part qualifies for free shipping at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I have noticed that their prices have been better than Fords prices on a number of items, but finally am asking if anyone else noticed it....

BTW Rock Auto has the EGR for $49.89

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
The part house will always have parts cheaper that the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If you have a Ford Distribution Center near you , you can walk in and by any ford part cheaper than you can at the dealership.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Another reason the parts houses sell parts cheaper than the dealers is they make there money on volume. The parts stores all sell more of the same item than the dealers do, so they mark there parts down and sell even more, yet still make a profit on them.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Since I bought my corolla, I am finding that dealerships are selling on ebay at much cheaper prices than you can walk into a Dealership and buy it for.

Mike
:rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Jan 9 2010, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=778214
Since I bought my corolla, I am finding that dealerships are selling on ebay at much cheaper prices than you can walk into a Dealership and buy it for.

Mike
:rolleyes2:[/b]
Some places do that also. Whats fun, if you call them on it and ask for the same price to get it from them, they wont sell it to you. They say its a different business and you MUST buy it on line. I have run into that with other kinds of items from stores that also have on line shops.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
And forget about trying to find those stupid 2 piece fuel filter clips at any dealer, only Napa seems to carry them. Parts stores and internet stores usually buy in bulk, so they can get a discount. After shopping around, I found Motorcaft fine wire SP432 spark plugs at 4.99 each at Advance auto parts.

·
Banned
323 Posts
A very good friend of mine is the Parts Department manager at the local Ford dealership. I get parts at the dealer's cost. Most of the parts sold over the counter to customers are at least double what the dealer pays for it. If the parts guy doesn't like you, you could pay a lot more!!!
The same was true at the auto parts store I worked at years ago....there were 5 levels of pricing for everything...the store, customers (such as auto repair places) that bought their parts from us AND we supplied their basic on the shelf stock...these were ''stocking dealers'', then places that bought parts from us, but didn't get their on the shelf stuff from us...these were ''dealers''..then 2 levels for walk in customers...most got the 10-15% discount, but if they were difficult, it was full list price. If they were ********, then the sky was the limit....so, be nice to that guy (or gal) behind the counter!!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My gf worked at a tire shop years ago and told me that there were 5 tiers of prices that they charged for tires. It depends on the sales person which price you pay for a tire (just like you explained for parts)... I never knew the same was the same for parts as tires though.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have been a salesman forever. Industrial distribution, not retail.
Anyway, there is always a List price shee as well as different tiers of multipliers.
Some companies won't deviate from those but most don't even use them.

Right now Motive power batteries, which are Electric Forklift batteries have a list price that is about 55 percent higher than what the markup on them is. You can't sell a battery like that at list price. Well maybe you can once.

Mike
B)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts