Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to get a sable switch with the pull out fog light option to go with the fog lights i bought. but how do you wire it? i know everything else is plug and play, but where on the switch do you put the wires from the fog lights? and how do you connect it? solder? splice? and all this i hear about (geek voice while pushing up glasses) connect to pin 85 and 76 and blah blah blah. idk wtf that means. and even if i could connect to those "pins" if i knew how they were numbered, if this is even what you do, how do you connect the wires to the damn pins?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. What is a pig tail? 2. What harness do I need? 3. What is my relay trigger? And don't I need to attach to pin 2 as well? I'm pretty sure all I have is power and ground wires. Just black and red. And does it go to the female tiny holes of the plug and then into the switch? That's strange.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Pig tail is a wire splice. You want to get a wire from a donor headlight switch harness, cut it off and splice it to the wire leading to the relay to act as the switch to turn the foglights on and off. The other end of this wire from the donor harness will go into the plug that plugs into the headlight switch (most likely into an empty slot).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's it? Just one wire going into the empty pin 5 hole in the harness? Should I solder it in? And what's the point Of the donor wire, couldn't I just use the fog light wire?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The donor wire would have the pin or receptacle that fits in the harness. That way you can easily add it to the connector. Soldering the two wires together is fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i meant solder it into the harness. i had to do that with my hid harness once, i accidentally ripped one of the wires out. :p now another question. will my harnessi (i wish that was the plural of harness lol) fit right in with the sable switch? and i should be putting the wire into one of the harnessi i already have? i will draw up a diagram of what the fog lights came with, and what the harness has. somebody please tell me what wire to put where lol. im a very visual learner.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ok so heres the wires that the lights came with. the red white and black are supposed to be going into the crap switch it came with. red to the battery with the fuse, black to ground, and white to the lights. now down by the lights, the white wire splits off to go to the other light and a black wire has a ground and "Y"s off to both lights.

now im supposed to be putting something into pin 5 of the harness for the sable switch. i believe i circled the right pin in green. now what wires go where???? and i think im missing a relay. if i am, i dont know what it is or what the connections will look like.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do i just not use the red and black wires that are supposed to go into the switch? am i just putting the white wire into pin 5 and then grounding the lights?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts