Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Thank you for clarifying regarding it being upside down! Aside from heat, is there a recommended rust penetrant I can use? I've seen recommendations for PB Blaster, Kroil, etc. but I'm looking for the cheapest but most effective. WD-40 is a no-go lol.

Transmission fluid is good as a penetrating oil plus mixed with a little lacquer thinner or finger nail polish remover is claimed to be the best. The connection is stainless nut to stainless threads to you shouldn't have any corrosion just tightness.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Transmission fluid is good as a penetrating oil plus mixed with a little lacquer thinner or finger nail polish remover is claimed to be the best. The connection is stainless nut to stainless threads to you shouldn't have any corrosion just tightness.
I just tried out transmission fluid, and the pipe snapped at the base where the pipe leads to. Really hoping that isn't an expensive fix; time to find out.
EDIT: $75-130+ looks like. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
JY pipe will cost a lot less. Not sure where the pipe snapped.
It snapped right at the base of the nut at the bottom of the line. I was about to price check local shops, and an idea sparked to ask about alternative solutions. A worker at O'Reilly suggested some heat resistant bonding options, and I decided on QuickSteel bonding agent. 2400 F heat resistance, and it supposedly hardens to be "as hard as steel". I'm applying it in layers, and letting it cure, and the initial layers seem to be doing their job rather sufficiently. If I run into any issues with this after sanding and heat treating, I may look into your option.

Spaced and didn't put together that JY stands for junkyard haha but I'll look into a junkyard pipe if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Vulcan 180K
Trying to remove EGR valve to replace O-ring seal due to vacuum leak.
Can't get the large nut at the bottom of the EGR valve off.
Have soaked it with Kroil
Heated the bottom of the valve with a propane torch.
Can't budge it with locking multi-grips.
They are not slipping.
10" leverage just not enough to break it loose.
No room to put a longer pipe wrench on it.

How do the pros remove this nut?
Thanks, all help appreciated, John
Oi
2004 Vulcan 180K
Trying to remove EGR valve to replace O-ring seal due to vacuum leak.
Can't get the large nut at the bottom of the EGR valve off.
Have soaked it with Kroil
Heated the bottom of the valve with a propane torch.
Can't budge it with locking multi-grips.
They are not slipping.
10" leverage just not enough to break it loose.
No room to put a longer pipe wrench on it.

How do the pros remove this nut?
Thanks, all help appreciated, John
I myself usually weld up a special wrench or tool that works

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
^^^^ Same here. I have a whole box of homemade tools made out of cut up and welded wrenches, sockets, angle iron, etc for specific nuts. bolts, etc on specific cars in the fleet.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts