Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The remote for my wifes wagon doesn't work anymore. I want to try to reprogam it but don't know how. Who can help?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
IIRC, you put the key in the ignition, turn it to ON position 3 or 4 times quickly until you hear a beep. Then press down on the buttons on the remote. Don't hold me to my word though.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
What you have to do is turn the key from off to on 5 times (no more no less) rapidly (within 10 sec). After the doors lock/unlock press any button on all transmitters and switch it to off when you are done. The important thing is that you have to reprogram ALL the remotes you have not just the one that is giving you problems. On a side note you can do up to 4 remotes, not sure how many you have.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wait...you said the remote doesnt work anymore. Did you check the battery first? That could have died...otherwise do what ******* said.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 5 2004, 12:43 PM
Wait...you said the remote doesnt work anymore. Did you check the battery first? That could have died...otherwise do what ******* said.
Exactly what he said. Sorry i didn't mention the battery, i assumed that had already been tried (yeah yeah yeah i know your not supposed to assume)

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It's not the battery. When the dealer had the car to reprogram the keys because the computer lost the codes it messed up the keyfob but now my remote operates both cars because he had my key chain during programming.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Jun 5 2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys. It's not the battery. When the dealer had the car to reprogram the keys because the computer lost the codes it messed up the keyfob but now my remote operates both cars because he had my key chain during programming.
OK. Then what you need to do is reprogram the car that you do not want the fob to work with.

You are not reprogramming any fobs. What you are doing is programming the car to work with the fobs. So, if you have three fobs that work, and you only want two, you must reprogram your car to only accept the two.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Jun 5 2004, 04:20 PM

OK. Then what you need to do is reprogram the car that you do not want the fob to work with.

[/quote]
I like that one remote works with both cars. Now I don't have to carry two in remotes along with those big a$$ keys.

I did it last night. It actually takes 8 turns to go to program mode. Easiest thing I've done so far.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Jun 7 2004, 06:36 AM

I like that one remote works with both cars. Now I don't have to carry two in remotes along with those big a$$ keys.

I did it last night. It actually takes 8 turns to go to program mode. Easiest thing I've done so far.
[/quote]
Interesting, i wonder if it's different per mode/year then, mine only takes 5 turns and it also states that right in my manual.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Must be because the '03 took 8 and unless I miss counted the '04 took 9. The manaul for the '03 stated 8 but I didn't look at the '04. I just turned it until the locks activated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My '01 Sable's book says to turn from lock to off position. Once in off, cycle between off and on eight times within ten seconds, ending in the on position. If you have done it right, the locks will activate signalling that you have entered programming mode. Programming mode will stay active for as long as you are programmming remotes, or 20 seconds. In that time you may program as many remotes as you wish by pressing any button on the remote. Then simply turn the car off.

I had to do this yesterday myself. The remote stopped working, I replaced the battery, still didn't work, so I reprogrammed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts