Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Pic of mine, sort of at the end, in Pick A Part. I sold it to friend for a "winter beater" and it made 2 winters but not many miles. Just couple miles to work. To JY with 199K. In this case, too rusty to put on a lift, CEL on, red brake light, amber brake light, unsafe to drive. It had good tires so I switched JY wheel/tires and kept the good ones and put them on grandson's Taurus he uses for college intern driving.
There are miles, and then there are MILES. Can be quite different. This one was abandoned and re-possessed, sold by dealer for the bank. I bought it, month later tree fell on it and it was totaled by insurance, I bought it back for $406. Fixed the things it had to have to drive, daughter drove it several years, grandson drove it to work for a while, then I sold it to friend.
When I switched the wheels out, very hard to find a place to jack it up due to rust.
There is highway miles, and then there is one mile at a time driving.
Each car has it's own issues. Personal decision.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Before I would drive a high miler, I would find something like what is in the pic. But that is just me.
Used car average prices have gone down 5 months in a row. Maybe not a good time yet.
But I just bought '04 Mercury Sable Wagon loaded.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Is it safe - not just road worthy, but for anyone that drives it?
Is it still running well?
Other than gasoline, is it costing you more than 50% a month of a replacement car payment?
Does it have any trade in value toward any car you might replace it with (I'm guessing no, so it would be a private sale)?
If you get a replacement, will you need to finance (because that'll add more insurance cost)?

The mid-level car market is still high right now, and if you need a loan for a used car those are higher as well. If it's running, and you don't NEED a replacement yet, keep it. Save for the replacement. And keep another vehicle out of the scrap yards.

Mine is a 1999 Wagon with under 156K miles. When I bought it I lived in California and it's a rust free, well maintained car. I'm now putting about 8K miles per year on it, and in the winter try to wash off any salt within a day. It's got a couple of bumper scratches and the wiper stalk needs to be replaced or repacked, but other than that all is good on it.

I've been on the fence a few times about replacement (before the car market skyrocketed). I'm going a different route when it comes time to replace - all used: Lexus LS460 AWD, RX350, or Hyundai Genesis 4.6L or 5.0L.
Glad I am not the only low mile use driver. I have a Buick Lucerne used, I have driven it 28K in 5 years. My latest '04 Sable Wagon I have had it 6 months and driven it just over 2K.
However used car prices are down 5 months in a row, and likely will continue to fall. I just could not wait that long to get my newer wagon, found a gem and my daughter and her friend kept borrowing my '03 Sable wagon. So I sold it to her friend and found a better one. Finding a good used G-4 wagon is very rare. I am old and stuck on G-4's. Present have 3 in my herd and have had 3 in the past. But what works for me will not work for others. That if fine.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts