Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7,934 Posts
All my Taurus went to the scrap yard due to rust. All ran well with one only having 125k miles but was unsafe to drive and nowhere to jack up the rear if I got a flat. Jack would just push through rocker area even the reinforce area that supported the rear tie bar which located the rear knuckle. Taurus in the salt belt are use it or lose it. My other 4Taurus had around 230k miles and reliable when they went to the scrape heap.

· Registered
7,934 Posts
I'm hanging onto Third Bull as long as I can. It's a 2003 with only 153K on it. Rust got my rockers this year so I had to make a decision about keeping it. Use car prices are awful here. I don't want a new vehicle at my age. I've retired and don't do as much driving as I used to. In the end, I got the rockers fixed and will pass safety inspection now. The rest of the car is in good shape and it still runs well. I get 23 mpg average.
For me it was a financial decsion. One time outlay of funds or car payments. Since I couldn't find a decent used one for the cost of the rockers, I chose to do the repairs.
That's a decision that has to be made pretty early into the rot process. I was considering this on my 2006. The rocker area is made up of three components from what I have researched. The floor plan, the rocker cover and in the middle of those two is the reinforcing panel. You can buy a floor panel but it can be fabricated, the full rocker panel is available on line but the reinforcing panel is not available OEM or aftermarket and looked like it could not be easily fabricated if at all. If that reinforcing panel is in bad shape it is hard to justify fixing.

· Registered
7,934 Posts
Thank you for responding. I like your answer. It is a second car that I will use primarily to go back and forth to work 2-3 times per week. My wife doesn't drive, so it is not something that I like having. My only expenses with this car are the gas and oil to keep it running.
Registration and insurance are really the high cost of my Taurus. I have four cars and keep the Taurus around for local winter driving. I spend about $300 for insurance and registration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts