Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Taurus has almost 253,000 miles on it and I believe that it is not ready for the graveyard yet. I went to one of the local pick n pull junkyards a few weeks ago. They had about 10 Taurus’ there, but only 1 had more miles on the odometer than mine. I believe in keeping my car until it cannot go any further. What are your deciding factors on when to the put the old bull in the graveyard?

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
My '04 Sable DOHC had 281K mostly trouble-free miles and I was committed to driving it as long as I could; despite having serious rust in the rockers and wheel wells. One afternoon this past September when returning from my local U Pull that I have depended on to keep this car on the road, it just suddenly wouldn't move in any gear. I was pretty sure it was the dreaded torque convertor splines that were stripped, so coasted to the side of the road and called U Pull to come get it. Had already decided that this or an engine failure would be my signal to finally surrender it to the junk yard gods. There seems to still be a steady stream of Taurus/Sables coming into that yard, but even after 2-3 mos of sitting there, I've noticed hardly any parts are pulled from any of them these days. Then, it's off to the crusher....

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
All my Taurus went to the scrap yard due to rust. All ran well with one only having 125k miles but was unsafe to drive and nowhere to jack up the rear if I got a flat. Jack would just push through rocker area even the reinforce area that supported the rear tie bar which located the rear knuckle. Taurus in the salt belt are use it or lose it. My other 4Taurus had around 230k miles and reliable when they went to the scrape heap.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Pic of mine, sort of at the end, in Pick A Part. I sold it to friend for a "winter beater" and it made 2 winters but not many miles. Just couple miles to work. To JY with 199K. In this case, too rusty to put on a lift, CEL on, red brake light, amber brake light, unsafe to drive. It had good tires so I switched JY wheel/tires and kept the good ones and put them on grandson's Taurus he uses for college intern driving.
There are miles, and then there are MILES. Can be quite different. This one was abandoned and re-possessed, sold by dealer for the bank. I bought it, month later tree fell on it and it was totaled by insurance, I bought it back for $406. Fixed the things it had to have to drive, daughter drove it several years, grandson drove it to work for a while, then I sold it to friend.
When I switched the wheels out, very hard to find a place to jack it up due to rust.
There is highway miles, and then there is one mile at a time driving.
Each car has it's own issues. Personal decision.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Before I would drive a high miler, I would find something like what is in the pic. But that is just me.
Used car average prices have gone down 5 months in a row. Maybe not a good time yet.
But I just bought '04 Mercury Sable Wagon loaded.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Taurus SES
312 Posts
I'm hanging onto Third Bull as long as I can. It's a 2003 with only 153K on it. Rust got my rockers this year so I had to make a decision about keeping it. Use car prices are awful here. I don't want a new vehicle at my age. I've retired and don't do as much driving as I used to. In the end, I got the rockers fixed and will pass safety inspection now. The rest of the car is in good shape and it still runs well. I get 23 mpg average.
For me it was a financial decsion. One time outlay of funds or car payments. Since I couldn't find a decent used one for the cost of the rockers, I chose to do the repairs.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I'm hanging onto Third Bull as long as I can. It's a 2003 with only 153K on it. Rust got my rockers this year so I had to make a decision about keeping it. Use car prices are awful here. I don't want a new vehicle at my age. I've retired and don't do as much driving as I used to. In the end, I got the rockers fixed and will pass safety inspection now. The rest of the car is in good shape and it still runs well. I get 23 mpg average.
For me it was a financial decsion. One time outlay of funds or car payments. Since I couldn't find a decent used one for the cost of the rockers, I chose to do the repairs.
That's a decision that has to be made pretty early into the rot process. I was considering this on my 2006. The rocker area is made up of three components from what I have researched. The floor plan, the rocker cover and in the middle of those two is the reinforcing panel. You can buy a floor panel but it can be fabricated, the full rocker panel is available on line but the reinforcing panel is not available OEM or aftermarket and looked like it could not be easily fabricated if at all. If that reinforcing panel is in bad shape it is hard to justify fixing.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I have a '95 2nd gen which I intend to keep for good. Since I'm in SoCal, rust isn't an issue. The only things that would take it off the road would be theft or a bad accident.

I have to say though that the decrease in parts availability has me worried. I have a strict rule to buy as little from China as possible so parts are getting tough. Junkyard 2nd gen cars have almost dried up.

All in all though, it's a keeper.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
437 Posts
My 2000 Taurus has almost 253,000 miles... I believe in keeping my car until it cannot go any further. What are your deciding factors....?
Is it safe - not just road worthy, but for anyone that drives it?
Is it still running well?
Other than gasoline, is it costing you more than 50% a month of a replacement car payment?
Does it have any trade in value toward any car you might replace it with (I'm guessing no, so it would be a private sale)?
If you get a replacement, will you need to finance (because that'll add more insurance cost)?

The mid-level car market is still high right now, and if you need a loan for a used car those are higher as well. If it's running, and you don't NEED a replacement yet, keep it. Save for the replacement. And keep another vehicle out of the scrap yards.

Mine is a 1999 Wagon with under 156K miles. When I bought it I lived in California and it's a rust free, well maintained car. I'm now putting about 8K miles per year on it, and in the winter try to wash off any salt within a day. It's got a couple of bumper scratches and the wiper stalk needs to be replaced or repacked, but other than that all is good on it.

I've been on the fence a few times about replacement (before the car market skyrocketed). I'm going a different route when it comes time to replace - all used: Lexus LS460 AWD, RX350, or Hyundai Genesis 4.6L or 5.0L.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is it safe - not just road worthy, but for anyone that drives it?
Is it still running well?
Other than gasoline, is it costing you more than 50% a month of a replacement car payment?
Does it have any trade in value toward any car you might replace it with (I'm guessing no, so it would be a private sale)?
If you get a replacement, will you need to finance (because that'll add more insurance cost)?

The mid-level car market is still high right now, and if you need a loan for a used car those are higher as well. If it's running, and you don't NEED a replacement yet, keep it. Save for the replacement. And keep another vehicle out of the scrap yards.

Mine is a 1999 Wagon with under 156K miles. When I bought it I lived in California and it's a rust free, well maintained car. I'm now putting about 8K miles per year on it, and in the winter try to wash off any salt within a day. It's got a couple of bumper scratches and the wiper stalk needs to be replaced or repacked, but other than that all is good on it.

I've been on the fence a few times about replacement (before the car market skyrocketed). I'm going a different route when it comes time to replace - all used: Lexus LS460 AWD, RX350, or Hyundai Genesis 4.6L or 5.0L.
Glad I am not the only low mile use driver. I have a Buick Lucerne used, I have driven it 28K in 5 years. My latest '04 Sable Wagon I have had it 6 months and driven it just over 2K.
However used car prices are down 5 months in a row, and likely will continue to fall. I just could not wait that long to get my newer wagon, found a gem and my daughter and her friend kept borrowing my '03 Sable wagon. So I sold it to her friend and found a better one. Finding a good used G-4 wagon is very rare. I am old and stuck on G-4's. Present have 3 in my herd and have had 3 in the past. But what works for me will not work for others. That if fine.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2000 Taurus has almost 253,000 miles on it and I believe that it is not ready for the graveyard yet. I went to one of the local pick n pull junkyards a few weeks ago. They had about 10 Taurus’ there, but only 1 had more miles on the odometer than mine. I believe in keeping my car until it cannot go any further. What are your deciding factors on when to the put the old bull in the graveyard?
We have a 97 sedan, with a little over 150K miles. I won't say this car has been trouble free, but with pages of repairs, it soldiers on. I imagine the end will come if someone hits it and the damage is considered a 'total'. After the tranny rebuild a few years ago, I have every confidence in the motor. The rust is creeping up bad from the bottom edges, mostly cosmetic. TBD.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My general rule is that I'll let a vehicle nickel and dime me to death, BUT, if one single repair (or multiple repairs needed at the same time) costs more than the vehicle is worth, it's time to scrap it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts