Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I am looking for help. I need to know how to install a driver's side mirror, I think I may be able to do it just fine if I could get the door panel off. So if anyone could give me instructions on how to do it that would be helpful.

My car is a 1997 Mercury Sable GS

-Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Andy,

I have just had to remove and repair the driver's side mirror, so the proceedure is somewhat fresh in my mind.

Remove the cover from behind the inside door handle by gentlu pulling it out to release the retaining clips.

There is one Phillips screw at the bottom of the inside door pull (it may not presently be visible on your car because it is covered by a screw cover or dirt and/or lint at the bottom of the door pull).

If you remove the screw, the inside door panel pulls off with a little effort. The door panel is held on by snap-in plastic clips. Although it will take some effort to pull the plastic clips, a little care should be taken not to break them.

Remove the speaker. Once the inside door panel and speaker is off , you have needed access to nuts and wires to remove the mirror.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you callustoe, so does the panel go on with little effort also?... Oh and are any tools needed to remove the panel (so you don't break the clips)

Andy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some sort of forked prying tool may be helpful to pull the clips out straight, but I just pulled the panel out enough to see where the clips were, put my hand between the panel and the door as close to the clip as possible, and gave a sharp pull straight away from the door. Some of the clips were a little stuborn but most came out quite easily. To put the panel back on simply line up the panel with the door so that the tips of the clips are in their respective holes, then give the panel a wack with the heel of your hand over the clip/s. It goes on easier than it comes off. The effort required is less than that needed to remove and reinstall a wheel cover, but the technique is similar.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
If you pull it out by hand, be very careful. I pulled a bit too hard and the piece of plastic holding the pins to the door panel broke off. I had to hot glue them back on and hope it doesn't break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts