Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

These came out of an '05 Sable with 83k miles. I'm not sure if they are original or not. The car has been misfiring on cylinder 3, codes P0171 and P0355. I'm changing the PVC, spark plugs, UIM gaskets and ordered a couple of COP's to diagnose things.

What I'm most curious about is the blue color on the terminal end of the spark plugs. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance for any info!

Fluid Finger Bottle Bottle cap Gas Wood Cylinder Drink Metal Tin can

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
p0355 cylinder #5 coil primary issue.
"What Does the P0355 Code Mean? Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0355 stands for “Ignition Coil “E” Primary/Secondary Circuit.” It indicates that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem in either the primary (computer side) or the secondary (spark plug side) #5 ignition coil “E”.

Front side easy to change the coil. Start with the coil before replacing other things.

Did not say which engine but DOHC will be COP, Vulcan coil pack. Either way easy to work on that. Check plug wire if Vulcan.
As to paint color on plug, likely OE and they use a camera to see that the correct part in going in the engine and camera can read paint color.

-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p0355 cylinder #5 coil primary issue.
"What Does the P0355 Code Mean? Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0355 stands for “Ignition Coil “E” Primary/Secondary Circuit.” It indicates that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem in either the primary (computer side) or the secondary (spark plug side) #5 ignition coil “E”.

Front side easy to change the coil. Start with the coil before replacing other things.

Did not say which engine but DOHC will be COP, Vulcan coil pack. Either way easy to work on that. Check plug wire if Vulcan.
As to paint color on plug, likely OE and they use a camera to see that the correct part in going in the engine and camera can read paint color.

-chart-
Thanks so much for the info. I was concerned that it was some strange wear or corrosion. I never expected any type of paint on a terminal because I thought it would inhibit conductivity.

It's a DHOC and I have a couple of COPs arriving tomorrow so I can tackle the job.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I was concerned that it was some strange wear or corrosion. I never expected any type of paint on a terminal because I thought it would inhibit conductivity.

It's a DHOC and I have a couple of COPs arriving tomorrow so I can tackle the job.
The conductivity is the spring over the top electrode and the spring rests on the base of the metal terminal. You can remove the boot and see the spring as it attaches to a plug. The boot goes back on with the tiny hole under the connector side of the coil. It is a vent and that side of the coil shields it from any water getting inside the boot.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts