Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell what diameter your front sway bar is with out measuring circumference ? any stamps or any thing on it ?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, you could use the chart in the other thread(didn't see it or I'd have put a link). Or you could use a micrometer to actually measure it, then account for the paint/powder coat/dirt that is on it. Or you could get a few large wrenches and slide them on the center of the bar and see which one fits the tightest.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's not very scientific !!

:p

Thanks Rudy will do...
I figure I might as well replace every bushing on this piece of crap while its a part up front and I can get to it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Calipers.
Wipe off the dirt, etc; subtract out the paint thickness.

SHould give you a decent reading.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a digital pair of calipers from Harbor Freight last night ;)
I'll chip off the paint at the contact points, then just dab on new paint to cover for rust.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
No need to chip paint off, just take a measurement where the bushing goes and take the paint into account. It's not all that thick.

If I recall, your car ought to have a 19mm front bar.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
From future debates on this SAME subject, I believe it's been said not to use the bushing contact area due to wear in that particular section.

Well that's not very scientific !![/b]
Maybe not, after all they are just four door Tauruses, I save the special equipment(calipers), for my Lamborghini. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
THIS IS GONNA SOUND STUPID but an old timer taught me how to measure them without a micrometer

wrench size whatever open end wrench size fits over the thick part of the bar (most are measured in mm)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rudy beat'cha to it ;)

From future debates on this SAME subject, I believe it's been said not to use the bushing contact area due to wear in that particular section.

Well that's not very scientific !![/b]
Maybe not, after all they are just four door Tauruses, I save the special equipment(calipers), for my Lamborghini. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
[/b]

Yeah I only drive my Tortoise when my Bently is in the shop.

:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts