Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thank you for writing this up, I probably would have never figured out the headlight switch removal without this!

My wife's car is a 1999 with the silver bezel on the gauges and I'll be swapping that out for black. Also, her tach needle only works some of the time, and likes to fall down pegged above 7K anytime you stand on it. Really annoying for when I'm driving because I like to see what speed the engine is running at a given mph and gear.

I also read the ency article about taking the needles off or adjusting the mileage, which will come in handy if I decide to change her whole cluster out for the 96-98 style with the traditional numbering (10-20-30 instead of 10-30-50). And I'll be able to keep her red needles this way and she'll like that.
[/b]
No problem on that.

I can tell you that there is no need to change the mileage out of a new cluster either - I've done it before.. Just swap your odometer out and put it in the new cluster, very easy to do. I can even make a write up on that. :)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
With all the stuff you have to take off just for that-JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!
It's like having to take all the doors and all the windows out of your house just so you can change one door knob!
I hope it isn't that much friggin' trouble on the Gen 4's!
Gotta do a search on that!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow.. thanks for the pics on everything... now i know how 2 take my speedometer out :)
[/b]
remove the cluster, and then the speedometer just pulls strait out of the cluster. just pull gently but firmly. it will take some pressure, but its just held in there by the pressure on the contacts, its a plug-in design. the tach also comes out the same way as does the fuel gauge/coolant temp gauges (as one unit)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 98 Sho with the mach stereo system. I also have the digital climate control and was wondering about dash kits if at all possible. If not is there a simple way to add components?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hello, I have a 98 Sho with the mach stereo system. I also have the digital climate control and was wondering about dash kits if at all possible. If not is there a simple way to add components?
[/b]
There are no dash kits for the digital climate controls. We've had several lengthy discussion about this. It is possible to hack the stock digital climate control to accept an aftermarket radio, but it won't look very good unless you are familiar with fiberglass. You can add an aftermarket amp and/or sub to the stock system which would be easier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone know about pulling out an IC from a G4? I had my dash pulled apart yesterday and It's almost impossible to get it out. The cable that reads P R N D 2 1 that goes to the column shift is way to tight to pull the thing out. My hands are to big to get back there and unplug anything. That's the downfall of being 6'3", LOL. Anyway, can anyone help me out here? I'm going to be ordering a IC from SHOSource, and I need to figure this out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks you guys for the informations. It makes me want to install a new cluster. Can any one tell me where i can get one please?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ebay or a junk yard car.... If you want just the gauge faces you can visit SHOSource.com
[/b]
Thanks. I just need a new face ;). SHOSource.com is pretty cool. I am going to pick one. I have 98 Taurus SE. I assume it fit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did mine in a 03 taurus with floor shifter. I have pics as well. If any is interested in them before i get it uploaded let me know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys, I was taking apart LRB for a top-secret you-cant-know-what-im-doing type thing... (just kidding, I was changing the cabin air filter :p ) And I remembered that I messed up my RPM gauge needle when installing my white gauges a short time ago. "Today's the day I fix it.. and help other people!" I said to myself... So here are instructions on how to get G3 Headunit out, and G3 gauge cluster removal! (I think this only applies to G3's with a column shift) I will start out with an explination and then the picture will follow. Hope this helps you guys!

1996-1999 (Gen 3) Taurus/Sable radio headunit remval and Gauge cluster removal

Tools you will need: 8mm wrench, 7mm wrench, Ford DIN keys, small flat head screw driver, T10 Hex key

First, use the 8mm wrench to disconnect the battery (For safety reasons). Make sure no power is being used by the car (this means DOORS CLOSED, HAZARDS OFF, HEADLIGHTS AND PARKING LIGHTS OFF, Etc., etc.)

Now, feel free to open any and all doors for some fresh air as you are going to be working in here for a short while.

After this is done, the first obstacle we must tackle is the radio! You can't get the radio out unless you have the FORD DIN keys, or bent wire hanger (I find the DIN keys are much better. They are more sturdy; you can buy them at wal-mart, autozone, and just about any other store that sells automotive supplies for about $5 maximum). You will need to stick the keys in until you hear a click, or it won't go anymore. You then push the keys sideways (I.E - push to the left for the left key, and to the right for the right key) while pulling out towards you. The radio should slip out easily.

[/b]
i got the din tool and the right side comes out no prob but the left side is stuck or sum thing the clips wont open i think there broke or sumthing any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Take a really small flat head screwrdriver. Wrap it in a thin cloth and shimmy it in between the radio surround and the radio itself (keep the tool fully in the slot like the other side) and see if you can pop it out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i am going to put in the scoche kit so if i do happen to break the clip does the kit come with new ones if not r they replacable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
with your help, I was able to replace the instument cluster light bulbs today. Gawd help me, that was NOT an enjoyable task, even when I had the instructions!!!! One more issue resolved, hopefully, I will be able to knock out a few more before even more pop up!

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.