Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a tutorial? I've seen small cracks on the belt and it might due a replacement soon.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the pix. How to deal with that tensioner? Should I remove it or there's something I should loosen up to remove the belt?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'm ready to replace the belt and got the shop manual. Manual says take off the cover and rotate the tensioner CW to get the old belt down. Never been playing with tensioner before, so how do I rotate this guy, any specific tool or specific torque I should use? Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Proctor,
I am not familiar with the o1 but most tensioners have a 3/8's drive square hole in the bracket for the tensioner. Put your 3/8 drive socket wrench in there and either pull it towards you or push away from you and you will see the belt loosen. There is usually a lock spring that you can push up while you have the belt loose, that will lock it in this position. Piece of cake.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Updated my profile and glad I found this. Mine broke on the way to work (01 Taurus SES). Luckily I was only a mile from home & was able to drive back. Any brand of belt recommended?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Proctor,
I am not familiar with the o1 but most tensioners have a 3/8's drive square hole in the bracket for the tensioner. Put your 3/8 drive socket wrench in there and either pull it towards you or push away from you and you will see the belt loosen. There is usually a lock spring that you can push up while you have the belt loose, that will lock it in this position. Piece of cake.

Ed
This.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts