Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm putting my new speakers in this saturday. and of course on the 04, you have to remove your back seat to get to them. do i have to remove the whole thing? or just the back part? i need step by step instructions if anyone has done it, because they don't sell any manuals for this car yet, unfortunetly. or do they? thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I am assuming the same for all gen 4 sedans. Open seats down, and there should be four bolts, one at each corner. Pull seat out (just the back portion, not the bottom), or just lean it forward, then take the back deck cover out. Easy as Pie.

** Edit - May wanna check, but I believe mine are 14 mm bolts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
That's even easier! Take out the bottom seat. Then at the bottom of the back cushion there is a bolt on each side (2 total).Take out the bolts, raise the seat up slightly and pull out towards you. Before you do all this, take off and unplug your 3rd brake light (if one is in your back window---saw your great looking car but can't remember if you have the spoiler). The brake light snaps out from the inside of the car with a plug to disconnect it. Slide out your package tray and you should be all set. Did this on my 02. Quite sure yours would be the same. Good luck and see you around the Detroit area. I'm about 25 miles north-west of you in Canton.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 26 2004, 08:14 AM
HOw would she go about taking the rear seat out?

JR
there's two hooks in the front of the seat. i think you have to push down and pull out to get them unhooked, though i'm not certain. either that or push down and in. if you reach your hand under there, you can feel which way it should go. i hate our seats, though...once they get out, it's easy to move, but it's a bizzy to get them out in the first place :)

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by acreature@Aug 26 2004, 04:22 AM
:huh: 0h n0s.... Then I can't help. Sorry dear.
its ok. i thought i had the fold down seats. and i was mad when i didn't. they come in handy when you lock your keys in the car and your trunk is already open. my son can climb right on through. it sucked when i first got the car and that happened.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by duraSEL01@Aug 26 2004, 07:36 AM
That's even easier! Take out the bottom seat. Then at the bottom of the back cushion there is a bolt on each side (2 total).Take out the bolts, raise the seat up slightly and pull out towards you. Before you do all this, take off and unplug your 3rd brake light (if one is in your back window---saw your great looking car but can't remember if you have the spoiler). The brake light snaps out from the inside of the car with a plug to disconnect it. Slide out your package tray and you should be all set. Did this on my 02. Quite sure yours would be the same. Good luck and see you around the Detroit area. I'm about 25 miles north-west of you in Canton.
thanks! and welcome to the club! i'm in St. Clair Shores. and yeah, i have the spoiler so i don't have the third brake light. i hope its as easy to put the seat back in. or the hubbie is really gonna wonder why i took the back seat out. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Aug 26 2004, 09:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Aug 26 2004, 09:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Aug 26 2004, 08:14 AM
HOw would she go about taking the rear seat out?

JR
there's two hooks in the front of the seat. i think you have to push down and pull out to get them unhooked, though i'm not certain. either that or push down and in. if you reach your hand under there, you can feel which way it should go. i hate our seats, though...once they get out, it's easy to move, but it's a bizzy to get them out in the first place :) [/b][/quote]
is that for the removal of the bottom of the seat? or the seat backs?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
That's for the removal of the bottom seat. Sorry I missed the directions on that part in my earlier explanation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright, thanks guys. i got my speakers hooked up finally. it was really easy to get the back seat out. there were 2 bolts on the sides of the seatbelt buckles. between the bottom seat and the back seat. once those were off i just lifted the seat up and it unhooked. than pulled out the carpet on the back window. it was really easy. except it was soooooooooo hot and humid out. i thought i was gonna die in the car. so the speakers are hooked up. except for the tweeters. i still gotta get some grills first. does anyone know where i can get those Mach audio grills at? someone posted a website but i can't remember what it was.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What speakers did you get?? How do they sound??

I assume you are using a stock head unit, since the 2004 has the annoying Airbag light that noone has figured out yet. Darn Ford

I was thinking of going with infinity 5x7 components

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
these are the ones i got for the front and the rear.
Pioneer TS-A6870R
6"x8" 3-way Speakers

and for my tweeters i got:
Pioneer TS-T110
7/8" poly dome Tweeters

they sound a little better than the stock system. a little more bass. seems i have to turn the radio up louder though. and yeah its running off the stock headunit. cause its a 2004 and they decided to screw us all with the radio and the MAF sensor in the airbox. <_<

i'm sure once i get the tweeters installed it will sound a lot better. i hope.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is this cheap?

F8DZ-18978-BAA Genuine Ford RH sail panel speaker grill $ 18.99
F8DZ-18979-BAA Genuine Ford LH sail panel speaker grill $ 18.99

Freight $ 7.99

from fordpartsnetwork.com

does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy the grills? how much do you think a junkyard would want?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Those are the same speakers I had in the door of my Towncar. I had Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in the back. I think you will be happy with them. Of course if you want the boom gotta put in a sub. I am still debating on moving my sub out of my broken down Towncar into the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i want the boom. but the idea of a sub and amp didn't go over too well in my 97. i tried to hide it from the hubbie as long as i could. by trying to keep him out of the trunk. :lol2: ..and turning the amp off whenever he was in the car. the system was awesome. until one day i accidently hit the switch with the hubbie in the car. :blink: ...i was in total shock. he was like, whats that ?? whats that?? open the trunk!! .... so he looked. i said it was my brothers, but it wasn't. i paid for it with $400 i won that week at bingo. so when he was at work he ripped it all out of the car and gave it to my brother to give to my other brother. i haven't seen it since. all i know is that my Amp was passed around Romeo for a year or so. my bother traded it for rims. and it kept being traded around. about a year later he ended up with it again and before i could get it back, it was gone again. :angry:
so yeah, i don't see how i could try and hide another set up. can i use a small amp with out subs?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yanking the system that is grounds for Divorce LOL. Just Kidding. How about an amp where your spare tire goes?? It would be hidden there. You could use quick disconnects so if you had to go on a trip or something you could just pull it out. I did that in a Mustang I had. I have AAA plus so if I got a flat locally I would just call them. I would take the amp out on long road trips, so I would have a spare. My wife is like your hubby I have a mean Orion system and I asked her if she wanted me to put it in her 00 SEL and she said the Mach is plenty. I have a pick up and a Mustang vert with a shoe box for a trunk, so no big systems for me. :( I dont know how close a 00 is to an 04 in the trunk but I will take a look later or tomorrow and see what I come up with. Maybe you can get something in there without it being noticed. I will look under the rear pkg tray and see if something will fit there with possiblly a piece of trunk carpet to cover it.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by twoblacktaurus@Aug 30 2004, 06:40 PM
Yanking the system that is grounds for Divorce LOL. Just Kidding. How about an amp where your spare tire goes?? It would be hidden there. You could use quick disconnects so if you had to go on a trip or something you could just pull it out. I did that in a Mustang I had. I have AAA plus so if I got a flat locally I would just call them. I would take the amp out on long road trips, so I would have a spare. My wife is like your hubby I have a mean Orion system and I asked her if she wanted me to put it in her 00 SEL and she said the Mach is plenty. I have a pick up and a Mustang vert with a shoe box for a trunk, so no big systems for me. :( I dont know how close a 00 is to an 04 in the trunk but I will take a look later or tomorrow and see what I come up with. Maybe you can get something in there without it being noticed. I will look under the rear pkg tray and see if something will fit there with possiblly a piece of trunk carpet to cover it.
sounds good to me! let me know what you did. would i be able to run just an amp without subs?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Aug 30 2004, 05:21 PM
is this cheap?

F8DZ-18978-BAA Genuine Ford RH sail panel speaker grill $ 18.99
F8DZ-18979-BAA Genuine Ford LH sail panel speaker grill $ 18.99

Freight $ 7.99

from fordpartsnetwork.com

does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy the grills? how much do you think a junkyard would want?
$16.31 each at http://www.fordpartsdirect.net

shipping was only a few bucks too...

Do you have the tweeter pods also? If not, the left side was $21.06. The right side was $19.67. Shipping I think was less than 10 bucks.

If you go there to order, the grilles won't be in the online catalog but put the part numbers in the comments block and they'll e-mail you back to confirm. They were pretty quick about shipping too, less than 4 days between the time I ordered and when they arrived.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts