Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a squeaky sound that I thought was my serpentine belt, I was told by a mechanic from Canadian Tire that it was the front bearing in my alternator. My question is how do I remove the tension on the belt so I can take the alternator off and take it to a junk yard to get the right replacement one; if you have pictures to help show me what I’m doing that would be nice. Thanks (2003 Ford Taurus se, 3.0L Vulcan)

·
Registered
34 Posts
15mm wrench on the bolt head in the centre of the tensioner pully, pull as if tightening, towards front of car. use a second wrench for leverage if needed. you will feel tensioner pulley move and this will take tension off the belt.

same idea when re-installing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When you get the belt off spin all of the other pulleys and confirm the noise is the alternator. Make sure there is no axial play in any of them. The mechanic may be right but I would rather be safe than spend money on the wrong part.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Go to autozone and rent OEM Part #27115

Thats the Serpentine Belt removal tool. I used (and own it) it and its WAY better than using just a socket. I just bought a 24" breaker bar but it wont fit because its so big.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts