Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is actually a '97 Mystique, but I'm betting that the like vintage Taurus/Sable use the same type of fuses. I have asked on a Contour/Mystique forum and have not found much help. So, here I am, as I have faith in the high population of smart people found here!

This car has an electrical system parasitic drain (3+ amps). I've systematically removed the fuses and relays one at a time in an effort to locate the problem and haven't found it yet. I've also vindicated the alternator by isolating it from the system.

There are 5 fuses that I cannot remove... three 60 amp and two 20 amp. My owners manual indicates that the 60 amp fuses should be replaced by a qualified technician. I really don't want to take it to a dealer service dept if I can help it. Can I do this myself? If so, how: is a special tool required? These fuses are plastic cubes about 1 inch square, with the element visible thru the clear cover. I'm afraid that if I use excessive force, I may break something.

Regards... Mike

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i was trying to do the same thing on my contour with no luck either i can see that they are bolted to the wiring from under the fuse block but thats as far as i got and i dont remember if i ever found any info on it either. i am thinking the fuse block may have to be removed which i am sure is a pain since half the time you cant get the darn cover off even... i wonder if Luke would know?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sable23, I found it. I know, I know... Google is my friend; I keep forgetting that!

The wires are actually attached to the bottom of the fuses with screws. After releasing the catch, the fuse carrier can be pulled up far enough to loosen those screws, then presumeably the fuse can be replaced. I only needed to temporarily disconnect the load side wires so I didn't go for complete removal.

I found it neccesary to remove a couple of the nearby relays in order to gain enough room to remove the screws.

The above-mentioned google search indicated that this may be the case for other Ford models as well, although Taurus was not mentioned specifically.

Regards... Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts