Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bot a phenolic spacer and I want to know how to put it on
I have a 2001 vulcan if that helps

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Very carefully. I had a nightmare putting mine in last weekend. My upper intake bolts were too short to go back in, and I couldn't find any M8-2.50x 160mm bolts anywhere, so I had to tap and heli-coil the lower intake. Of course, I drilled the holes too big, and when I went to tap the holes, I dropped the tap through the lower intake. I had to remove the valve covers to get it out. Then I had to drill the upper intake holes out larger to accept much bigger bolts. Finally, I snapped the EGR tube when reinstalling the upper intake. I just capped the EGR lines for now. Took me two whole days to fix (and a million runs to the parts stores). My advice - pull out one bolt of each size from your upper intake, and try and find some that are about 12-20 mm longer (~.5 -.75in). And be VERY careful putting the EGR tube back on. Don't try it on a weekend if your car is a daily driver - the EGR tube is a dealership only part, and they obviously aren't open on weekends.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How thick was your spacer? I had tons of bolt left. I could have gone with at least 5/8" spacer.

And if you read the other "installing a phenolic spacer" thread I said many times to watch out for the egr tube because I broke mine.

B

·
0 Posts
HIs spacer is about 7/16" thick. When I test fit the first one, I had plenty of intake bolt left too, so this seems odd. The only problem area I could see, which I overlooked on this one, is the alternator bracket bolts. After spacing up with washers, the bolts don't have much thread left. I'll be including longer bolts, as well as some solid spacers, on future orders. I'm also looking into high temp hose to extend the EGR tube, and caps for the exhaust manifold for those who may want to take the EGR out alltogether. EGR blocking plates are available on pre-1991 Vulcans, at a junkyard, or I can have some made up if you guys want them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how do I put it on?? do I have to get a new egr tube or do I just cap it off.
If I cap it off will it set off my check engine light? B/C I'll take it off
if it will help my car go faster and wont make my car fail my E-check

B

·
0 Posts
Your spacer is 3/8" thick. Jim bought that spacer from me. Did he include the spacers for the alternator bracket? If not, all you need is some washers the size of the alternator bracket screws, stacked to closely match the thickness of the spacer.

The EGR needs to be on to pass emissions, you could either take it off and cap it, and reinstall it at inspection time, or get some high temp hose and cut and extend the tube.

The basics of the install:

Remove the alternator brace, and upper intake. Position the spacer, with a gasket on either side, on the lower intake, and reinstall the upper intake and alternator bracket, and whatever else you removed to get the upper intake off.

Make sure you have two new upper intake gaskets before you start.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you mean cut the pipe and put some high temp hose between
the two cut peace's and just clamp it on??

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by spifdaddytaurus01@Dec 7 2003, 10:14 AM
do you mean cut the pipe and put some high temp hose between
the two cut peace's and just clamp it on??
cut the pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Oh crap. This thread just reminded me about me asking Bob about duratec spacers. Oops.

Bob, I totally spaced on finding out if my bolts were long enough to fit the in spacers. Sorry. After finals I'll have lots of free time. I guess it kind of worked out anyway, you know because you were busy fixing the web site AND working on the group buy.

Anyway, after Wednesday I'm going to see if I can find some slightly longer manifold bolts or least measure the length and thread of the bolts. That is, if you're still want to make spacers for duratecs. No rush on it though, it's kind of cold out (high 50's) so the heat soak isn't really a problem for me, especially since I removed my EGR valve. I think it'll show a drastic difference in the summer though.

B

·
0 Posts
No problem Mike, you're right, I have a ton of stuff going on! I have a Duratec upper and lower set, with the secondary butterflies bored out. We'll be installing that on the test mule (better known as Dman's 98
) sometime after the holidays. I hope to have some spacers done by then, so we can test fit them.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
No matter how closely you watch the EGR tube, when you tighten the intake down it will either break, or it won't. I had the tube all connected and I was jus =t snugging up the intake bolts and it snapped. seven years of hot exhaust gasses flowing through the pipe have a tendancy to make metal brittle. It was my four center bolts that were too short.

Hey bob, I'm not blaming you at all for my troubles by the way. Just bad luck for me, that's all.

P.S. if you find some good high-temp hose, let me know where I can find it. I never did try the heater hose, I was too scared of melting it. I am really happy with the spacer. Man, that intake stays Ice Cold.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
spiff i you want i'll put it on at the meet for you

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 8 2003, 12:11 AM
Hey bob, I'm not blaming you

P.S. if you find some good high-temp hose, let me know where I can find it. I never did try the heater hose, I was too scared of melting it. I am really happy with the spacer. Man, that intake stays Ice Cold.
I know.
When I find some suitable hose, I'll let you know, and send you a piece. It will be included in all future orders too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah that would be sweat greg. and if I have to I know
were a crap loud of auto part stores are.
Since my car is only 3 years old do I have to wore about
it braking??? and how much do you think one will cost?

·
Registered
307 Posts
what does this spacer do?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by spifdaddytaurus01@Dec 8 2003, 12:42 PM
yeah that would be sweat greg. and if I have to I know
were a crap loud of auto part stores are.
Since my car is only 3 years old do I have to wore about
it braking??? and how much do you think one will cost?
I would recommend NOT doing it at the meet. No offense intended, but if you're that far from home, and something gets fubared, well, it's not a pretty scenario.

Trojan--

The spacer gets mounted between the upper and lower intakes. It insulates the upper intake from the rest of the engine, keeping it cool, and therefore keeping the intake charge cooler. Cooler air=denser air=more O2, and a more efficient burn in the combustion chamber. It also lenthens the runners, resulting in a slight increase in throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
well he does only live 15 mins away or something like that so we could do it at his house....i have all my tools in my sho now so it's up 2 him.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts