Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I pulled a dash kit out of a Taurus today with an Alpine head unit.

Seems like it would be worth it to hook it up and see if I like it before I go into it hardcore and install it completely.

I was the one who pulled it out of the car so I understand the basics of where the wires go, but what is with all the cut and spliced and reconnected wires?

I just want to see how (and if) it works so what is the easiest plan of attack?

Also can someone explain the difference in the different brands?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
turns out lucky me ended up with a metra kit. I have been searching tcca for a long while and can't find any instructions for the metra... Only the schoshe. :(

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Those are the instructions, fonicsmonkey.

It's neither quick, nor easy to install the faceplate in the Taurus, but if you've done it a couple of times, you can get it down to about an hour. The spliced wires are for power, ground, and constant, as well as speaker leads, but I think the ones you're confused about are for the lights inside the faceplate, as well as those that control the rear defroster.

JR

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to see how the headunit works and how it sounds... I don't want to wire the a/c or defroster until I decide if I want to us the HU.

So I guess I am asking if there are difficult steps I could avoid such as wiring the defroster switch.

I can take pics of the wiring when I get home today.

I want to skip steps like hiding the wiring too... I'm just going to run the big 15' bundle of wires over the front seat and through the flip down back seat.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got of all hooked up and it was amazoing.... Listens to it all day... Then it dies along with my speedometer and tripometer... The a/c works but not the headunit. Any ideas?

Oh and I found out it's an alpine cdm-7871! :-D

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind I think it's just the fuse #24, I'll check it in the moirning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts