Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the rear speakers on a 99 taurus 6x9s :dunno: ? if so. how do you get to the speakers? cuz i dont wanna start assuming where **** come apart and i pull something off i didnt really need to get take off lol. add alil audio to the car :banana: . i still have aftermarket 6x9s from my chevy caprice i wanna put in. i want to put a new radio and subs in it but it looks alil ruff. i got the radio and subs but my funds are low for the wiring hareness and new dash kit o_O

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
are the rear speakers on a 99 taurus 6x9s :dunno: ? if so. how do you get to the speakers? cuz i dont wanna start assuming where **** come apart and i pull something off i didnt really need to get take off lol. add alil audio to the car :banana: . i still have aftermarket 6x9s from my chevy caprice i wanna put in. i want to put a new radio and subs in it but it looks alil ruff. i got the radio and subs but my funds are low for the wiring hareness and new dash kit o_O
[/b]
I have seen it down (2) ways, but I prefer the first method:

1st Method:

1. Remove rear seat upper
2. Remove both rear 1/4 window trims
3. Remove parcel shelf
4. You now have direct access to the 4 bolts per speakers

2nd Method:

1. Pop the speaker grills out gently
2. You now have access to the 4 bolts holding in the 2 rear speakers
(I have read a post somewhere here where somebody did this method, but the speaker grills where then loss beacuse the metal tabs that hold the speaker grills to the parcel shelf get bent and loss their grip some

Good luck - I used the 1st method beacuse I added the factory JBL syste, w/ sub and changed my rear parcel shelf to the one w/ the facotry sub holes

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd:
The 2 rears and two front door lower speakers are 6x8. :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Remove upper rear seat, remove parcel shelf, remove speakers, I would advise against taking the rear 1/4 panels off as the tabs are the christmas tree ones that are basically only good for one use...

oh and i am pretty sure they are 6x8's
[/b]
Well, you can reuse them once or twice if you're lucky. You can get new clips pretty cheap tho. You don't have to take the 1/4 panel trim off anyway - you can bend the parcel tray just enough to slide it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotemain'>
Remove upper rear seat, remove parcel shelf, remove speakers, I would advise against taking the rear 1/4 panels off as the tabs are the christmas tree ones that are basically only good for one use...

oh and i am pretty sure they are 6x8's
[/b]
Well, you can reuse them once or twice if you're lucky. You can get new clips pretty cheap tho. You don't have to take the 1/4 panel trim off anyway - you can bend the parcel tray just enough to slide it out.
[/b][/quote]

:werd: are most of all this stuff clipped on or are their bolts i have to unbolt? i just wanna get done the right way and not F*ck up my car lol.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The rear seats are bolted in...I think the bolts are 18mm. After unbolting, the seat just lifts out. The parcel shelf just sits in place, though it is overlapped by the seat back. You can just slide it out without taking the trim panels off. As for the speakers, they are 6x8" speakers, and they're bolted in, with a 10mm bolt, IIRC. They're top mount, so you HAVE to remove the seats to get to them.

As far as using a 6x9" speaker, you'd have to bottom mount them from inside the trunk, and you'll likely run into clearance issues with the tension springs for the trunk lid (the two bars that run from one side of the trunk to the other).

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The rear seats are bolted in...I think the bolts are 18mm. After unbolting, the seat just lifts out. The parcel shelf just sits in place, though it is overlapped by the seat back. You can just slide it out without taking the trim panels off. As for the speakers, they are 6x8" speakers, and they're bolted in, with a 10mm bolt, IIRC. They're top mount, so you HAVE to remove the seats to get to them.
[/b]
The seat back bolts are 13mm and the speaker bolts are 6mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts