Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard, and i know the benefits of colder air. but is there a point where the air is so cold that it no longer benefits the engine. and or may cause harm.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The colder the better.

My SHO keeps making more power the colder it gets. The -30 degree temps we've been getting lately have made this thing a beast. The only problem is that traction is non existant with the extra power and hockey puck hard tires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
beast? Engine is working 500rpm more than it does on normal temperature. It is not that is overheating that you need to cool it down. I say everything below 32F is cold.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
If I remember correctly, the IAT will cause a MIL if it registers a temperature below -40F. But at that temperature, the oil and gasoline will be frozen anyway, so who's gonna be driving their taurus in that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97@Jan 20 2004, 10:54 PM
The colder the better.

My SHO keeps making more power the colder it gets. The -30 degree temps we've been getting lately have made this thing a beast. The only problem is that traction is non existant with the extra power and hockey puck hard tires.
I hear that

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jan 21 2004, 12:41 AM
If I remember correctly, the IAT will cause a MIL if it registers a temperature below -40F. But at that temperature, the oil and gasoline will be frozen anyway, so who's gonna be driving their taurus in that?
I think you remember incorrectly. And no gas and oil doesn't freeze at -40. There are places in the world where it gets that cold and people drive cars.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Postmortem@Jan 20 2004, 10:28 PM
beast? Engine is working 500rpm more than it does on normal temperature. It is not that is overheating that you need to cool it down. I say everything below 32F is cold.
can someone please translate this to english?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97+Jan 21 2004, 07:37 PM-->QUOTE (1fast97 @ Jan 21 2004, 07:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-silvapain
@Jan 21 2004, 12:41 AM
If I remember correctly, the IAT will cause a MIL if it registers a temperature below -40F.  But at that temperature, the oil and gasoline will be frozen anyway, so who's gonna be driving their taurus in that?
I think you remember incorrectly. And no gas and oil doesn't freeze at -40. There are places in the world where it gets that cold and people drive cars. [/b]
Code 113 - Intake Air Temperature sensor open - IAT reporting -40F outside temp.

That's what gasline anitfreeze is for. There is a bucket of regular gasoline sitting outside my shop (from a recent fuel pump replacement) that froze at 5F. And I know that oil viscocity is much greater at that low of a temperature.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Don't know about you but my gas doesn't normally have water in it. I have gone through a few -20F days in my life with the gas not freezing. There are ways for the gas to get water in it, deliberate dilution or from condensation, but the gas will not mix with water unless there is alcohol in it.

Whatever you had in your bucket should not have been in your gas tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey everyone do u know what anti-freeze for gas is its alcohol, if i do remember from chemisty that alcohol does not freeze at any nautural temp other than what can be made in a lab... hmm yeah freezing gas thats a good one

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by BMWevo600@Jan 25 2004, 05:28 PM
hey everyone do u know what anti-freeze for gas is its alcohol, if i do remember from chemisty that alcohol does not freeze at any nautural temp other than what can be made in a lab... hmm yeah freezing gas thats a good one
Alchohol is mentioned because it allows water to mix with gasoline (gasoline is a petroleum product, if you don't remember). The alchohol doesn't freeze, it's the water. All of this was stated before you made your smart alec response. Don't be a jerk.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There would still need to be a lot of water in the gas for it to freeze. Beer is ~5% alcohol and it needs to be around 5F-0F to freeze. Without the alcohol the water will sit on the bottom of the gas as the two won't mix. Alcohol allows the gas and water to mix. I think you left the bucket out in the rain.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 26 2004, 06:53 PM
i've had beer freeze on me, and it wasn't 5 or below. it was in the freezer. i think thats a higher tempature...if not... i'm stupid.. and forget everything i just said.
But beer typically has anywhere from 3-6% alcohol. The rest is just water and hops and barley and whatever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts