Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: '95 3.8L Engine. All of the things that are necessary to see in order to set the timing, with a light, on this engine are obscured by pulleys and belt. So, how the hell do you set the timing on this car.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Its easy. I did many times, all 3.8's the same.
Jack up the passenger side.
Take wheel off.
Get under the car and look at the harmonic balancer.
Take white paint or marker, something white. Spin the crank pulley till you see the timing marks and wipe them off.
Put a white mark where it shows 10 btc. be careful its not 10 atc or you'll have major issues.
Connect positive timing light power on the alternator under that red cap, its pos constant power, and the neg anywhere.
Put the lead on the cylinder 1 spark plug wire, the one leading to far back left cylinder.
Pull spout connector and start car. Point the gun at the balancer. If the white marks not where the tab...
You have to get a 10 mil socket and long extention and turn that bolt at bottom of distributor. Losen it so that you can spin the distributor, but not to loose as it spins itself when cars running.
Point gun again and keep spinning in whatever direction till white mark lines up with tab.
Tighten bolt, point gun again to make double sure. If good, put spout back in, wheel back on, lower car, done!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Setting the timing on 3.8L 1995 Taurus Engine

I'm sorry I don't see it. The pointer is on top of the pulley and I don't see how you can see it from under the car.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Its better that its dark under there. When you point the light up, should very easily see the white on the crank pulley with the timing light, put the white mark in front of the pulley and on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts