Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a while ive been getting 27-28 mpg in my 93 taurus gl, today i filled up and only got 22. what happened? the car still runs smooth, idles well....none of the dash lights have come on. i'm at a loss as to why my mileage is suffering. i havnt changed the way i drive either

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Bad gas, failed sensor, thermostat stuck open, alignment out, brakes dragging, etc. The list can go on. You just have to check stuff. Unfortunately since the '93 don't have the more advanced computers, diagnosing a sensor thats not setting any code can be difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Its very possible that in your area the gas stations have changed to a "winter blend" that burns cleaner, but gets worse milage. We run into that here in Ohio every year. If your milage doesnt change much over the next few fill ups, I would say its the fuel mix.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually, the winter mix is dirtier - the summer mix produces less of a problem during the ozone season.

Two things you can try - a couple of Wide-Open-Throttle shots on the interstate (watch the mirrors and see if you don't blow a soot cloud out the tail pipe), and a bottle of Techron3 in the gas tank.

I just went through the same thing - dropped 4mpg in my Taurus and 3 in my Buick. Both generated quite a soot cloud at WOT. I don't drive the Buick as much, but the Taurus gas mileage recovered, and I threw a bottle of T3 in both this past weekend just for good measure ($5 at the local Wally-World)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i may try the t3 sometime, but for now i just used some maf sensor cleaner on the sensor and throtle body for good messure. when i sprayed the throtle body i noticed there was a bit of oil built up around it. is that normal?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Actually, the winter mix is dirtier - the summer mix produces less of a problem during the ozone season.

Two things you can try - a couple of Wide-Open-Throttle shots on the interstate (watch the mirrors and see if you don't blow a soot cloud out the tail pipe), and a bottle of Techron3 in the gas tank.

I just went through the same thing - dropped 4mpg in my Taurus and 3 in my Buick. Both generated quite a soot cloud at WOT. I don't drive the Buick as much, but the Taurus gas mileage recovered, and I threw a bottle of T3 in both this past weekend just for good measure ($5 at the local Wally-World)
Years ago, the media propaganda about the winter mix was that they put additives in it becasue people idle thier cars longer in the winter. I know some cars I have owned the fuel mixture cuts the milage drasticly. Its not to bad in the taurus.
I do agree with the T3 or something like that to help clean your injectors and help burn that fuel a little better.

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
The 3 cleaners ive heard the most praise about are: chevron techron, gumout regane and redline. Ive also heard of restore. Only one ive used is the techron.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i use the gumout stuff every 2-3 weeks so i know my fuel system is in good shape. (if it actually does as it says, which i belive it does) i gotta do what i can to keep the bull on the road and running great. specially since ill be taking it on a 2200+ road trip in the spring. gotta make sure its as perfect as one can get in a 17 year old car. my only future fix will be a new trans filter come spring. other than that im not sure what im going to do, just keepin up with normal maintense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
using my fuelly.com account i noticed a pattern over the last 4 months. it goes as follows: for the month of aug. i averaged 27 mpg, the month of september it went down to 26.7, for the month of october it went down to 26.1 and so far for november it went down to 24.3 mpg. hopefully cleaning the maf sensor will help. if not im not sure what to think. i know its not dirty fuel the car is driven nearly everyday, plus i use fuel injector cleaner sometimes.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
anyone used that restore stuff? i put that stuff in my car today but not sure if it will help any.
Restore? That's not going to help you.....:mellow:

Best stuff I used (for the price) was STP Gas additive (cheapest and I always had good results. I used this product for 4 years in a row on all my and my parents vehicles. My father even noted the difference, and I put it in without him knowing :) ). I used it every fillup and Bam. My Vulcan ran SMOOTH. I'd toss some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in there on occasion for good measure.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You likely have more than one variable in play here, so some more thoughts on items for your suspect list.

Air up your tires, the pressure drops with temp & it's been cooling off lately. Flatter tires have increased rolling resistance.

Have you curbed the tires, or hit anything lately that could have knocked the alignment out of adjustment????

Lazy O2 sensor/s. Their switching speed slows with age, so their feedback to the computer, to help it keep fuel trim as close to ideal, will affect it's ability to quickly control fuel trim.

Probably a good idea to suspect the MAF sensor, hope you cleaned it with a non residual, plastic safe cleaner, like CRC MAF spray cleaner, as any residuals drying on the sensor will uncalibrate & corrupt it's PID output to the computer, about true airflow into the engine.

Stuck, or worn out PCV valve probably belongs on your suspect list too, as it's a calculated for vacuum leak, so if it's sticking, or not sealing well from age, it'll mess with the air/fuel ratio because it's air bypass isn't being measured by the MAF sensor.

Same for the vapor recovery system operation & or a vacuum leak in it. The vacuum line that runs from the intake manafold down to the charcoal canister is prone to dryrot & vacuum leaks & it's flow isn't monitored by the MAF either, so if this system acts out, it can corrupt fuel trim.

Distributor, rotor, plug wires & spark gap deserve thought too, as they are constantly opening up with use & wider gaps mean weaker, lower temp spark at the plugs & a wider gap means a slightly retarted spark, none of which helps combustion or MPG!!!!

I like the Techron Concentrate Plus idea & if you have Chevron, Texaco, or Caltex gas in your area, which already have some Techron in them, adding the specified amount of Techron Concentrate Plus at the pump, before filling with one of those fuels, so you get good mixing, will raise the treat rate 10X above pump gas alone.

So that & running most of the treated out, with some spirited driving, with daily three mile runs with rpm's above 3600 during the treated tank, will tidy up the fuel injectors, intake valves, piston crowns & combustion chamber deposits, usually in one tank.

Using a top tier gasoline will help keep it in tune.
If you can't find one of the three gasolines mentiond, try using Shell, as they now have PEA in their fuel, so it'll likely work well & help you get the most from the Techron treatment.

Look for one of the new SN/GF-5 lubes, in the specified viscosity range for your engine, that have a lower 100C & cold crank viscosity number, like Chevron Supreme, Havoline, ect, & they'll offer up lower pumping losses & better mpg, than an in grade thicker crank case lube & that can help on the highway & winter mpg & cold temp starts.

Remove excess weight from the trunk & cabin, as lugging around extra weight sure won't help mpg.

Make sure the engine thermostat isn't sticking open & causing over cooling, as that'll lower mpg.

A bunch more thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I use to be paranoid about my injectors and was a T3 junkie. However, Lube Control's Fuel Power 60 (Lube Control) is far more cost effective with the same results + it lubricates the top end of the engine or so it claims. Now I only use T3 in my lawn mower to "refresh" the fuel as needed.

I changed my fuel filter last weekend after 40K miles, Motorcraft filter. Damn thing was 100% clogged !

Getter done !

Monsoon

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all things to consider, guess i can say that im confident that its not the fuel filter as that was replaced a week before i bought the car and only driven it about 5-6k in the last 4 months ive owned it. the spark plugs and wires are new only a few months old and the plugs were gaped right. i dont know if theres a vacum leak since the car still has great performance and 0 hesitation. think i may check the tires see what the psi is there. where is the filter anyways? i dont see it when looking under the car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
didnt see it there when i was tryin to replace the wheel cylinder, yes the wheel cylinder i was replacing is the rr. i think when i get back to fixing that tuesday ill check the filter just to be sure its still good. im sure it is, but ive had fuel filters fail on me in just a week after installing before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I commute approx 1000 miles / week. I have been keeping constant records of my mileage for over two years and found the following. Summer mileage 8.1L/100km (29.04miles/U.S.Gal) Winter gas mileage which usually starts here approx mid October 8.6L/100km (27.35miles/U.S.Gal) Winter mileage with snow tires on dry roads 9.5L/100km (24.75miles/U.S.Gal).

Taking a mileage reading from one tank of fuel is also a very iffy thing. My first tank this past week netted me 8.0L/100km because I filled the tank with the car facing slightly downhill. The next tank gave me a horrible 12.9L/100 because I had the car level and was making up for the previous false calculation. I fill the car till I can't fit in any more fuel every time because that allows me to get two days of driving, otherwise I may not make both ways the second day.

Short of it is, don't condemn the car on the power of a single fill and winter gas does make quite a difference. YMMV ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts