Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used taurus, 73000miles.
98 taurus SE ,OHV engine, VIN:'U'

The tranny pan say AXOD-****. and it has 17 bolts. I had changed the tranny fluid twice myself, just drop the pan, clean the pan, replace the filter, refill fluid. Need i add a cooler for my tranny? And how?(some article)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well, like you said if you looked in the bottom of the pan or probably by taking the front left wheel and the black fender well plastic cover you will see the torque converter that might say AXOD too. If you put a transmission cooler will be maintain the fluid cool and that way it will extend the transmission to last long since our Taurus/Sable tranny tend to get hot and it will break the tranny. There are a lot of people that put the transmission cooler and they recommend in putting this if someone has not done it yet. Anyway, you might check it out in seeing the Transmission Cooler Installation and I am pretty sure this write-up will work for you. Good luck.

Frank

*Edited Spelling*

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I just looked in the bottom of the pan, I'm not sure which type it is, i hope it's AX4N, But...... Is there something which can help me to make sure about the type?

AX4S has 17 bolts? And the AX4N has 19 bolts?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Actually, I don't know how many bolts does it have but someone will probably help here. The AX4S and the AX4N are externally similar but they are different in the internal design of the apply & hold devices used to platform automatic gear changes. Another way of checking which transaxle you currently have in your car its by looking the identification tag attached to the top of the bellhousing. The end cover and the oil pan on some transaxle are stamped AXOD, which is an older name for the AX4S. Hope the information I gave you works.

Frank

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Look inside your driver door jamb, if you see an "X" under "TR" then you have an AX4N transmission. I don't know if this applies for pre 96 Tauruses and Sables.

Adam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Oct 7 2004, 04:48 PM
Look inside your driver door jamb, if you see an "X" under "TR" then you have an AX4N transmission. I don't know if this applies for pre 96 Tauruses and Sables.

Adam
Mine is 'L'

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts