Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would I need in the rear deck of my Taurus to fit a 10" sub?

It seems kinda obvious, but I didn't want to make plans for a 10" hole and then have it go to hell 'cause there was something I didn't account for lol

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Depending on the year of your Taurus, there may already be a hole for the original 6 x 9 amplified factory sub by JBL. I like mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have that, but a friend of mine has a 10" that he wants to give to me for free, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to cut that hole a little larger to allow for the 10" to fit in
If it's not possible, I'm probably gonna go with the JBL sub though 'cause I heard those are pretty sweeeeet

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well I have that, but a friend of mine has a 10" that he wants to give to me for free, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to cut that hole a little larger to allow for the 10" to fit in
If it's not possible, I'm probably gonna go with the JBL sub though 'cause I heard those are pretty sweeeeet
The best way to see if you can do it is to remove the rear deck covering, like you would do on a rear strut change. A 10" speaker needs ~9"-10" of hole, you can see what you need by looking at the speaker, most have a gasket on the face that needs to seat on metal. Don't know if you will find that much clearance, front to back, that can be cut out. Has to be a flat surface as well. The JBL system was offered in '96 only, but there are a lot of used ones out there. Mine has all of the other speakers upgraded with aftermarket co-axials and the stock sub with it's own built in amp. Me likey....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Yeeee, I did that a while back to make sure I had the actual hole, but I re-checked it, and there's def not enough room to fit the 10", so I'm probably gonna find a used JBL sub.
The JBL sub only works with a stock JBL amp unit in the trunk (the RCU). They aren't the most powerful out there, but they bump OK and won't piss off the neighbors or get you a ticket.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Supposedly, you can find those things cheaply on cars at a junk yard.

I wonder, though, would it be possible to tap into the rear speaker wires for the signal and connect them to a powered 12 inch sealed subwoofer? Or say an external amplifier? I have right now a 300 RMS watt subwoofer in a 1.15cu ft hatchback style sealed box (conveniently just tall enough to be pushed back all the way to the back seat in the trunk and virtually not take any space) stuffed with polyfill running off a 250watt amplifier channel. After tweaking eq, crossovers, and gains, it sounds fantastic. Really tight, loud, yet spacious and soft on ears. I can't imagine going back to a lesser subwoofer solution. And that empty oval hole is great for letting all that bass into cabin in full force. But it's a lot more expensive of course.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Supposedly, you can find those things cheaply on cars at a junk yard.

I wonder, though, would it be possible to tap into the rear speaker wires for the signal and connect them to a powered 12 inch sealed subwoofer? Or say an external amplifier? I have right now a 300 RMS watt subwoofer in a 1.15cu ft hatchback style sealed box (conveniently just tall enough to be pushed back all the way to the back seat in the trunk and virtually not take any space) stuffed with polyfill running off a 250watt amplifier channel. After tweaking eq, crossovers, and gains, it sounds fantastic. Really tight, loud, yet spacious and soft on ears. I can't imagine going back to a lesser subwoofer solution. And that empty oval hole is great for letting all that bass into cabin in full force. But it's a lot more expensive of course.
Yes, it is possible. The JBL sub has a 4 pin connector on it from the RCU. 2 are for 12vdc amp power and the other 2 are the low pass bass signal to the sub. The low pass would go to line in on an aftermarket amp, the 12vdc could be used to switch a relay to feed power to the amp from a beefier power connection. (remote power on, some amps have this connection already, not to be confused with the main 12vdc connection to the amp) I wouldn't use the RCU 12vdc to power an aftermarket amp directly. I don't know which pin is which, but it could be figured out one way or another. My system was missing the sub when I got the car, I got one from member SHOMEX on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.