Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how big of a difference reduction in weight of 2 or so pounds per wheel would have on performance? Would acceleration and braking improve, or is it just a myth?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It helps, it is called unsprung weight, but why waste money on wheels and only shave 2 pounds ?? change the brakes ??it aint cheap, but you can stop on a dime, and I believe Kirk said his Eradaspeed rotors and hubs shaved like 25 pounds per wheel, if I got the numbers wrong Kirk, or anybody correct me please, but I think I got the weight right. Its all about Rotating mass and inertia and moving weight from a dead stop

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have steel wheels now (hey, my 00 LX was a gift). How heavy are they? The rims I was looking at were under 20lb.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I can feel a 4 lb difference in the butt dyno. Just went to some '99 rims and they are lighter yet. '97 SHO rims were 18 lbs and the '99s are 16.5 lbs.

Going from steel to aluminum would be quite noticable as long as you didn't waste it by going to a bigger tire and wheel than you need.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't care if you lighten each wheel by 1 lb you will feel the difference. Maybe not so much in acceleration (but you will a little), but in handling.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by SHOMAN@Apr 14 2004, 12:38 PM
It helps, it is called unsprung weight, but why waste money on wheels and only shave 2 pounds ?? change the brakes ??it aint cheap, but you can stop on a dime, and I believe Kirk said his Eradaspeed rotors and hubs shaved like 25 pounds per wheel, if I got the numbers wrong Kirk, or anybody correct me please, but I think I got the weight right. Its all about Rotating mass and inertia and moving weight from a dead stop
Was this the company you're talking about?

http://www.eradispeed.com/

If so, do you know of any compatible part numbers? I downloaded the catalog and could only find rotors for contours/cougars, focuses, and mustangs in the Ford section.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
One pound saved in unsprung weight (tire, wheel, brake, suspension pieces) is worth seven in sprung weight.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Apr 18 2004, 07:50 PM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Apr 18 2004, 07:50 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SHOMAN
@Apr 14 2004, 12:38 PM
It helps, it is called unsprung weight, but why waste money on wheels and only shave 2 pounds ??  change the brakes ??it aint cheap, but you can stop on a dime, and I believe Kirk said his Eradaspeed rotors and hubs shaved like 25 pounds per wheel, if I got the numbers wrong Kirk, or anybody correct me please, but I think I got the weight right.  Its all about Rotating mass and inertia and moving weight from a dead stop
Was this the company you're talking about?

http://www.eradispeed.com/

If so, do you know of any compatible part numbers? I downloaded the catalog and could only find rotors for contours/cougars, focuses, and mustangs in the Ford section. [/b]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mikehawk,
Don't want to be an a$$, but you might want to start a separate thread instead of jacking this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts