Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearby dealer has a 2008 Taurus X limited, which has almost all things: AWD, leather, DVD, Moonroof, 7 seats, and many more functions that I may not need. It has 21000 mile. And the price is firm at $21,000, and Ford bumper to bumper warranty is good till Nov. 2011.

I searched this forum and I do not get much info about it.

I do not know if this is a good car? and the price is Okay? The dealer also try to sell me 6 years/100,000mile bumper to bumper warratny for 2100.

Any advice is apppreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Not much a popular car. They came with the CVT transmission that wasn't very popular either. I didn't hear of much that goes wrong with the car. But I think 21,000 is a little high for a 2 year old car that depreciated half its value in one year when they stopped making them.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Not much a popular car. They came with the CVT transmission that wasn't very popular either. I didn't hear of much that goes wrong with the car. But I think 21,000 is a little high for a 2 year old car that depreciated half its value in one year when they stopped making them.
The CVT was on the Freestyle...no Taurus X has the CVT.

Check on eBay at the auctions for the Taurus X, as well as completed auctions. That should give you a good idea about the going rate for them. The warranty price is a bit high too...you can buy a Ford one if you want. I would have thought that the 08 you are buying would be certified pre-owned and would come with the 6 year/100K mile one.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I test-drove one when they came out. I believe it has the regular 5 or 6-speed automatic transmission. It came with nifty things like a power-opening and closing hatch, multiple zones for the EATC, extra legroom for the passengers, and of course AWD.

I currently have a '95 Taurus LX wagon, and I found that even though mine is worn out it is still funner to drive than the Taurus X. The Taurus X drives like a truck, and is just too tall for my liking. I have decided that whenever I get rid of my wagon, I will get a Flex insead.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many thanks for your reply.

The car has Ford bumper to bumper warranty till November 2011, and Ford powertrain warranty to Nov. 2013.

This car is not Ford Certified. The dealer is an Infinity dealer.

I checked with Ford extended warranty program, and I was told that the car can extend the warranty to bumper to bumper till Nov. 2015/100000 mile for $2400.

The infinity dealer's bumper to bumper is $2100 to 2016. That Infinity dealer is kind of reputable dealer in my town for several decades. so, I think I can trust their warranty they sold.

The reason that I consider Bumper to Bumper is that the car is packed with so many tech stuff, which I do not know how realiable they are.

KBB trade in value is about $21000. I do not know how I should trust KBB evaluation.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
KBB is not the most commonly-used one now. Edmunds and NADA are more commonly used to gauge used-car prices now.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
:werd: NADA is the best one...Edmunds is usually a little low, KBB is high...NADA is right in the middle.

What kind of warranty does the Infiniti dealer offer? Is it theirs or some aftermarket 3rd party? It seems like a lot of these aftermarket, 3rd party warranties can be a waste of your $...check around on Google for stories.

You can buy a warranty from Ford through the internet for under 2...or go through some small town dealer, like in Montana. Then that warranty is honored all over the USA.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That extended warranty is way too over-priced. I would pass this one up, and start checking for a Ford certified used car, that "includes" the 6 year, 100k warranty. Also, the price is too steep on that used car, I would use the nada guide, and start shopping online for one. You can also haggle the price online, without ever diving into the dealer's dunking tank, full of sharks.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I own one. They eat rear brakes but other then that it's a great car. We leased it for two years like it so much we bought it. That comein form people that keep cars two years MAX!!! 21k sounds about right. Hold the value pretty good. The car is built like a tank. Look at the door sills when you get in it. My wife was rear ended by a guy in a Chevy CUV. Our car had a few scratches the Chevy was a foot shorter and towed from accident site. I recomend it highly. As for the warranty price I would not buy a non ford warranty. I can sell you one from my dealership for cost. Send me a pm if you want. I would think about 1200 or so. Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for the replies.

NADA: Rough trade in: $19500 , Average trade in $20875, Retail: $25475

It looks like $21000 is a fair price.

I checked with Ford extended warranty , and Ford asks $2400 for 5 years Bumper to Bumper waranty.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you for your comments.

Do you recall how much Taurus X was really sold when you lease it?

I own one. They eat rear brakes but other then that it's a great car. We leased it for two years like it so much we bought it. That comein form people that keep cars two years MAX!!! 21k sounds about right. Hold the value pretty good. The car is built like a tank. Look at the door sills when you get in it. My wife was rear ended by a guy in a Chevy CUV. Our car had a few scratches the Chevy was a foot shorter and towed from accident site. I recomend it highly. As for the warranty price I would not buy a non ford warranty. I can sell you one from my dealership for cost. Send me a pm if you want. I would think about 1200 or so. Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
thank you for your comments.

Do you recall how much Taurus X was really sold when you lease it?
My car when new was MSRP $36,000 it's a Limitied AWD with all options less the roof. Navi, power flip up heated 2nd row captain seats, power lift gate, remote start, 18" wheels. My lease buy out a year ago was 22,000. Again I manage the sales department at the Ford dealer so I would not have paid 22 for the car if it wasn't worth it. 21 is a very fair deal. I would still ask for a few bucks just for the hell of it. :) do yourself a favor. If you are going to buy the warranty DONT PAY 2400!!!! I'm telling you the real cost is closer to 1200-1500. I can look it up for you tomorrow when I get to work. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car when new was MSRP $36,000 it's a Limitied AWD with all options less the roof. Navi, power flip up heated 2nd row captain seats, power lift gate, remote start, 18" wheels. My lease buy out a year ago was 22,000. Again I manage the sales department at the Ford dealer so I would not have paid 22 for the car if it wasn't worth it. 21 is a very fair deal. I would still ask for a few bucks just for the hell of it. :) do yourself a favor. If you are going to buy the warranty DONT PAY 2400!!!! I'm telling you the real cost is closer to 1200-1500. I can look it up for you tomorrow when I get to work. Let me know.
Many thanks for your reply.

I will go and close the deal tomorrow. I offered them last Friday $20000, and it looks like that the dealer is really firm at 21k. Though the car is 08 model, but it was made in May 08 and first sold in Dec. 2008, so it is 1.5 year old.

The car is exactly the same as yours, limited AWD. The diffirence is this one with roof but no navigation.

I will PM you the Vin.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Many thanks for your reply.

I will go and close the deal tomorrow. I offered them last Friday $20000, and it looks like that the dealer is really firm at 21k. Though the car is 08 model, but it was made in May 08 and first sold in Dec. 2008, so it is 1.5 year old.

The car is exactly the same as yours, limited AWD. The diffirence is this one with roof but no navigation.

I will PM you the Vin.
Tell them $20,500 and you'll come in to sign the papers right now, but make sure a Autocheck report is run before you sign. You do know they could have bought it at auction/took in on trade, for around or under the nada trade in value. Don't let them snooker you into buying their extended warranty, talk to the guy who works at Ford, get the esp from them. Another tactic dealers try is by saying "our financing won't finance that term without buying a warranty".

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell them $20,500 and you'll come in to sign the papers right now, but make sure a Autocheck report is run before you sign. You do know they could have bought it at auction/took in on trade, for around or under the nada trade in value. Don't let them snooker you into buying their extended warranty, talk to the guy who works at Ford, get the esp from them. Another tactic dealers try is by saying "our financing won't finance that term without buying a warranty".
Many thanks for the tips.

I checked both Carfax and Autocheck, and it is a personal trade in car.

I will not buy the warranty as all of you find the warranty not worth. Actually I do not need buy now, as the original warranty is still active.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts